1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Moodle for Art & design Resources and homework

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by pinnylady, Jul 12, 2011.

1. pinnylady

pinnylady New commenter

has anyone any experience in using moodle for setting homework in both keystages? We have to set all of our homework on moodle now with due dates for it to be in,so the kids have no excuse not to do it. We are to set 1 hour per week per group, but as we run on a carousel with several technology subjects and music, I'm finding it very difficult to continue to set meaningful drawing and research homeworks for each group, with 2 teachers in art teaching different schemes of work and sharing groups in some stages of the carousel. I have tried to explain my difficulties but the answer has been that both teachers must teach the same scheme of work and set a list of generic drawing skills homework tasks. I'm feeling pretty despondent as I am trying to cultivate a tradition of independent learning and relevant drawing tasks as homework to allow a smoother transition into ks4, something that has been sadly missing in the past. I love the fact that we teach different schemes as it means that the kids cover a wide range of skills, cultures and crafts but do I now have to restrict their diet? I feel pretty sad about the prospect or am I being too precious?

2. pinnylady

pinnylady New commenter

has anyone any experience in using moodle for setting homework in both keystages? We have to set all of our homework on moodle now with due dates for it to be in,so the kids have no excuse not to do it. We are to set 1 hour per week per group, but as we run on a carousel with several technology subjects and music, I'm finding it very difficult to continue to set meaningful drawing and research homeworks for each group, with 2 teachers in art teaching different schemes of work and sharing groups in some stages of the carousel. I have tried to explain my difficulties but the answer has been that both teachers must teach the same scheme of work and set a list of generic drawing skills homework tasks. I'm feeling pretty despondent as I am trying to cultivate a tradition of independent learning and relevant drawing tasks as homework to allow a smoother transition into ks4, something that has been sadly missing in the past. I love the fact that we teach different schemes as it means that the kids cover a wide range of skills, cultures and crafts but do I now have to restrict their diet? I feel pretty sad about the prospect or am I being too precious?

3. I work within an Art Department of 2 full time and 1 part time teachers all setting homework for KS3, 4 and post-16 via moodle. I had a lot of reservations about the process for exactly the same reasons as you. We all follow a set theme for each term, but there will be obvious variations due to the nature of the teachers and their areas of expertise/interest. It is not ideal, but we use many of the same generic homeworks together, but any alternative instructions are clearly marked by the teacher initials and date for handing in. I guess the only alternative is to create separate lists for each teacher within each project area. I found it hard to get my head round to begin with, but once you understand the inputting procedure it really does enhance the quality of your pupil's homework, especially if you can give them web links, image resources etc. I now use it all the time in the classroom. I put all of the GCSE AS/A2 course outlines on there too (in colour of course), so there is no excuse for them not to do their work. Good luck!

4. pinnylady

pinnylady New commenter

Thanks hannahpenny its good to have such a positive reaction, I hope once I get some training and can get resources on easily it'll be a much more useful and valuable resource, i'll keep you posted!