1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Minecraft in the classroom to reduce a teacher's workload

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peterfogarty, Jul 5, 2015.

1. peterfogarty

peterfogarty New commenter

Did you know that Microsoft is about to launch an initiative for promoting Minecraft in the classroom. What do you think of Minecraft? Does it have a role in the primary classroom? I have built a series of whole class teaching videos which teach real primary topics (literacy, numeracy and geography) in a set of Minecraft worlds.

I have built weekly Mental Maths tests, Spelling practice tests as well as the weekly spelling test in Minecraft videos. I am now hoping people will spread the word about these videos at http://www.DrFog.co.uk as the videos themselves are too large to be submitted to the TES resources website. I am looking for people to watch them and feedback on them, so I can further develop the resources primary school teachers really need in the classroom. I hope you can help.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I have heard a lot about Minecraft but I don't really 'get' what it is. It looks like a computer version of Lego. Perhaps it can be used effectively in the classroom, and I'd be open to using it, but I'd need to understand it first. People say, "just play around with it and see what it can do", but I'm not interested in computer games so it seems like a lot of effort and I feel I'd miss the point anyway. I suspect I'm not the only teacher who feels like this. I would, however, watch a video where somewhere shows me, in really basic terms, what it can do. And, if the video was good, it might inspire me to look into how I could use Minecraft in the classroom.

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I confess I was intrigued so clicked on your website - very well done! I'm not sure I agree that it reduces teacher workload; I'm sure I could write/type the questions out faster than build a Minecraft world, but I DO think it would really engage children. Unless you propose that they just use your questions? Perhaps it would work well as a resource to share with parents who struggle to get their children to practise at home?

A clever idea which might well really engage some children who like Minecraft more than they like maths. My Y6 son, to whom I showed your video, says Minecraft is great for learning about coordinates as well!

4. wymondley

wymondley New commenter

I'm interested in starting a Minecraft Club for our KS2, but I have never used it. I intended to download it, but after getting a log in they asked me for £17.95. Is that right? Does each child have to pay that amount? At the BETT show I went to the Minecraft podium and they said there is an educational minecraft at £3.50 per child, but again when I went on the website it said $18 each child. Can anyone please help me with this?