1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using manipulatives in a secondary classroom

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lhjacques, Apr 8, 2016.

1. lhjacques

lhjacques New commenter

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I am trying to introduce manipulatives in to the secondary classroom after discovering a lot of our feeder schools are going down the 'Singapore maths' root. I was wondering if anyone had used them for things higher than primary school level. If so, which topics and how. I've found a couple of blogs that seem useful and discuss Cuisenaire rods used in completing the square but I'm getting a little stuck for ideas now. Anyone have any advice/ideas etc that would be helpful?

Thanks

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @lhjacques ,
    I have successfully used unitary card cut outs with my S1 and S2 pupils (Y7 &Y 8) for converting units - e.g. age of pupils in seconds,length of maths corridor in rods.
    I have also used flashcards with revision facts for my Higher pupils (AS1) and Tarsias with algebra and factorising for S3 and S4 (Y9 &Y10) pupils. Is this what you are meaning?

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the Singapore method doesn't seem anything special or new to me to be honest. maybe I've not seen it demonstrated properly?
    Wonder if it will be yet another whizzy method that disappears after about 8 months

4. maffsy

maffsy New commenter

Sounds like you are looking to use Geogebra? Loads of free manipulatives there...