1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using linguascope or atantot with a another school's password in my school

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mpc, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mpc

mpc

I think it's really out of order. It must surely be illegal, an infringement of some kind of copyright - Groovy Guzi will know.

2. salsera

salsera New commenter

Not sure about the legalities but....we are a small department in a small school and I have had to budget accordingly so that this year we can afford to subscribe to Linguascope so the cost per student is far greater than it would be in a larger school.
    I would be fuming if I found that our PGCE students/ex teachers used the password in their new school/other schools.....
    As a PGCE student I also dont; think you have that right either you are there to learn how to do your job not how to pilfer from elsewhere.....that is a harsh thing to say I know but I have had bad experiences with student teachers (and teachers who have left the school) who have raked up a massive photocoping bills photocopying all the resources the dept has and given us nothing back......

3. It is illegal to share your log in details with other schools, if you read the copyright, it says that the login details are for your school only.
    If you think your details are being used somewhere else, just e-mail me and I'll change your password.

I can also check your account to see if your details have been used by another school.

atantot

4. I don't think that there is anything in copyright law that states that it is illegal in general terms, but password-protected websites normally state their terms of use and these usually explicitly forbid the sharing of passwords. Owners/authors of websites - or of any other copyright materials - have the final say in what is done with their website and/or materials and can enforce this in law if you breach their terms of use.

The same applies to sharing passwords for accessing computer programs offline. Here I have personal experience in catching out around half a dozen schools that passed round a program that I had written and shared the password to access it. I didn't have to take them to court. They coughed up the full amount immediately I got in touch with them and informed them that they had no right to use my program.

Essentially, teachers who illegally use passwords in this way are common thieves. Bleating that they "cannot afford it" or "it's for education, so it's OK" is no excuse.

Regards
    Graham
    http://grahamdavies.wikispaces.com

5. Never mind illegal, it's just dishonest.

Of course, if you teach Spanish at your school you can use www.asisehace.net for free, gratis, kostenlos... no password needed!

Shameless plug, I know.... oh well

6. mpc

mpc

I like your blog. It's lovely your students get to contribute too.

7. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

I have nothing to add to this thread. I'm off to Fifi's...for the evening.

8. Dear cosy77,

If you do not think a resource is worth paying for, I would argue that you probably shouldn't be using with your classes.
    Using a website illegally is a slap in the face of those who work so hard to create quality resources - and of those who do pay their subscription. By not paying, you are at best limitating the amount of new resources being created and at worst condemning such websites eventually to close down. Linguascope takes a tough stance on illegal use. Legally, we can ask offending schools to pay up to 15 times the normal amount if they are found to be using the site without a valid subscription. Finding out what schools are using the site illegally is fairly easy as we constantly get e-mails from students telling us what they think of the resources and informing us what school they attend.
    But anyway, I am encouraged by the positive responses above :)

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

..... but when subscription costs 20% of annual budget (in my case anyway - we are a small school) you can understand why people do it.

10. Linguascope is rather expensive.... but still, it's not right

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

I never said it was right - just you can understand

12. Dinner for two in a restaurant near where I live (The Fat Duck) is beyond what I can afford - so I don't eat there. I don't go to The Fat Duck and charge the bill to a stolen credit card.

Where is your sense of morality? You are supposed to be teaching our kids - or grandchildren in my case. Set an example!

Regards
    Graham

13. on zut.org.uk it says that if you are not from the school whose user id you have used you must 'desist' immediately. I point that out to my students and they all have a good laugh! Sadly young people don't seem to have many scruples when it comes to using the internet.

still oye.languageskills.co.uk/index.html (like asisehace) is free all day long.

14. The ICT for Language Teachers site (ICT4LT) that I maintain as a labour of love is free too and most of the materials there are subject to a Creative Commons Licence, which means that you can copy and pass the materials on as long as the source is duly acknowledged:

http://www.ict4lt.org

There is no charge for ICT4LT as my income now derives from a generous pension that all you nice young people are paying for. If I depended on this website for income, however, I would not hesitate to take abusers of copyright and/or access terms to court.

I take it that most of you aware that you can be tracked accessing almost any website and that, unless you take action to avoid it, evidence of where you have been remains on your computer too. The ICT4LT site tracks every visitor - and so does my personal website.

Regards
    Graham

15. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

It may be worthwhile finding out how the school budget is apportioned Henriette ...£1,000 sounds very little, even for a small school ....

16. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Linguascope is a very useful tool but needn't be that expensive if you share the cost with your SEN or English department. I think that the SEN department uses it more than MFL does - they have their own computers.

17. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Linguascope is a very useful tool but needn't be that expensive if you share the cost with your SEN or English department. I think that the SEN department uses it more than MFL does - they have their own computers.

18. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I wish we could (a) afford it (b) get to the computers to be able to use it.

19. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

you could pack bags in sainsburys to raise some money!