1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Level Descriptors in Lessons

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by richains, May 1, 2012.

1. I am doing a study on using level descriptors with learners during lessons and whether it helps or hinders their progress within lessons. Do any teachers have any feedback regarding this that will be of help to my reearch or your own views on using level descriptors?
    Thanks

2. I am doing a study on using level descriptors with learners during lessons and whether it helps or hinders their progress within lessons. Do any teachers have any feedback regarding this that will be of help to my reearch or your own views on using level descriptors?
    Thanks

3. In my opinion levels are one of the worst things about education at the moment. I firmy belive that nobody has ever made progress in a PE lesson due to knowing what level they are at, and what to do to make the next level. They are nonsensical, take away from the enjoyment of sport and have no relevance when trying to improve sporting performance.

4. I think many pupils are motivated by having a knowledge of their current working at and target levels. They also provide a basis from which pupils can deliver peer assessment and gives them a particualar focus within lessons, when presented in a child friendly way. It can give individuals targets and a sense of achievement when a characteristic of a level has been met. Both more able and less able pupils can identify areas to improve, whether practically or knoweldge based. As a teacher, I find them useful when planning and for setting learning objectives. However, schools do put staff under pressure to continuously input this level data even though the Curriculum states that a child shouldnt be given a specific level until the end of a Key stage. In PE I feel pupils should not be set target levels at the start of a key stage, as so many factors such a physical development will obviously continuously alter targets and the pupil may be disheartened early on if target predictions are lower than expected.

5. Levels are a useful tool not only for students to be aware of where they are at and take ownership of their learning but also as a behavior management tool, if one of the levels is geared towards effort such as in the international baccalaureate curriculum it works well.

Good luck, I would be interested in your findings.

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Take ownership of their learning? What a load of tosh. 'Wow I'm a level 4, I want to really be a level 5 and Sir says I need to improve the consistency of my service to do this.' Pointless, just pointless.

7. Been teaching PE for 25 years and totally agree.Total waste of time and enegy,totally meaningless.