1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using level 2 quals to form part of a bigger level 3 program

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by SawyerMPD, Dec 5, 2017.

1. SawyerMPD

SawyerMPD New commenter

Hi there,

I’m new to writing accredited training and have been tasked with writing a level 3 program lasting 20 months.

I have mapped across some level 1 and level 2 qualifications to hit some of the already agreed upon learning outcomes.

Is it ok to use these as they are lower than level 3, they will only be forming part of a longer level 3 program?

My thoughts were that for example if say ‘fundraising’ to earn your local youth club some money for a project is a small part of a bigger overall level 3 program delving into all aspects of local communities, you do not need to be level 3 trained in fundraising as that would only be relevant if that was your job, not if it is a small part of many other responsibilities.

I hope I have explained myself well here, just looking for guidance as to wether in some areas, I can use already existing qualifications rather than write new content.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I don't profess to be an expert in this area, but I think you need to be careful with levels. By default, a different level of expectation is directly associated with higher level of study.

So Level 2 and Level 3 students could both be looking at Fundraising as a topic, but the Level 3 students would be expected to display a greater depth of understanding and insight into the topic than their Level 2 peers.

If the content used was only intended for delivery to Level 2 students, then it might need to have additional 'beefing up' in order to meet the level of expectation associated with Level 3.

I think what I'm trying to say, is that the level at which the content is assessed, and the demands and expectations that places on the student, are more important than the actual content used.