1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using KS2 DAT to set target levels

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by duster14, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Help!
    If you have any experience of using KS2 English, Maths and Science published levels to set KS3 target levels I would love to hear from you.
    I have no difficulties setting levels for English and Maths, Science seems to be a little more problematic (pupils below level of paper for English and Maths, gaining a teacher assessed level3 for Science, Science levels typically 1 to 2 levels above English and Maths).
    How do others set Music, Art, Humanities targets using the KS2 data?
    We have recently introduced Go4Schools tracking at our school and I would be very grateful for any ideas/links/tips to help me in my aim to set up a useful and reliable whole school data base.

Many thanks.

2. Help!
    If you have any experience of using KS2 English, Maths and Science published levels to set KS3 target levels I would love to hear from you.
    I have no difficulties setting levels for English and Maths, Science seems to be a little more problematic (pupils below level of paper for English and Maths, gaining a teacher assessed level3 for Science, Science levels typically 1 to 2 levels above English and Maths).
    How do others set Music, Art, Humanities targets using the KS2 data?
    We have recently introduced Go4Schools tracking at our school and I would be very grateful for any ideas/links/tips to help me in my aim to set up a useful and reliable whole school data base.

Many thanks.

3. I have been struggling with KS3 predictions from KS2 too. It is a complicated area. Our experience is that the KS2 results don't necessarily tell us everything we need to know to use this data alone as a predictor. We are looking at FFT data as well which shows how English, Maths and Science results can be predicted from KS2 data but I haven't yet got a way to put this altogether. Can you tell me about Go4Schools? Would you recommend it? How much does it cost? Does it help with this problem?

4. There are 4 Modules.
    For a normal sized sec it would cost about £4000.
    I haven't used it I am just going by what they say on their web site. My impression is that it is a prettier version off what our data manager already produces mostly.
    The tracking also looks very simplistic to me. I looked this up when I read the first person's post because we also need to improve what we do in our school on key stage 3 predicting.
    You seem to put in a KS2 test level and it does a grid showing possible gcse grades.
    I am not sure that this is the answer we are looking for. What are other schools doing here?

5. Hi,
    Sorry about the delay (I have been constructing a pergola!). The go4schools price does depend on size of school and modules used: http://www.go4schools.com/Pricing.aspx
    I'm not sure whether the tracking is simplistic or not, we have only just started using the system. It seems to be, potentially, quite powerful and useful.
    As "half_inch" states my main concern at present is how to set starting levels for our year 7 intake.
    English and Maths are tested at KS2, we use these levels as given. Science is teacher assessed and seems to be an inflated level when compared to tested levels (generally one level above the tested English and Maths levels). I intend to introduce an entry Science examination for year 7 pupils to get a level we can work with. Although Ofsted will ignore this and use the KS2 teacher assessed level for calculating CVA!

For Humanities, art, music etc what do other schools use as their reference for setting baseline levels? Is it a matter of crossing fingers and hoping for the best? I have looked at various documents on these forums and the web generally with no success. Again, as "half_inch" stated - "What are other schools doing here?"