1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Khan Academy with GCSE/Functional Skills

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cuyocksol, Aug 23, 2019.

1. cuyocksol

cuyocksol New commenter

This year I'm teaching GCSE (Foundation) and Functional Skills (Entry levels) and I'm not sure if our college will renew its subscription to MathsWatch (which anyway wasn't much use for Functional Skills).

Over the summer I've been exploring Khan Academy and am really impressed by its high quality content (videos and 'tests'), especially as it supports numerous languages (as I teach ESOL students). The only thing is, it's mapped to the US educational system, so I'm trying to tally its content to my English schemes of work... But as I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I wonder if anyone else out there has had a similar idea..?

many thanks

2. Informant

Informant New commenter

I've used Khan Academy for some interesting maths and science topics (mostly undergrad stuff for personal enlightenment). For GCSE curriculum you might prefer examslutions.net. Videos are there if you look for them in the GCSE topics.

Only one other source to get really excited about; look at mathedup.co.uk. Long list on 1st page of topics ranked foundation through to higher, with video, quiz and answers available for every topic. Perhaps not so obvious is clicking on the topic name which produces a GCSE lookalike paper, but with just a few sheets of questions on that topic. We used it big time in my previous school just for that last feature.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

5. cuyocksol

cuyocksol New commenter

Perhaps I didn't make myself very clear: I want to use Khan as it has videos in many different languages. Some of our students have virtually no English!

Plus Khan's mobile app is very fun to use.

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Shame then that the maths is poorly explained in many of the videos and is sometimes downright wrong