1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using iTunes, ripping music and backing it up all illegal as UK changes copyright law

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Weald56, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

So, do you break the law? And if so, are you going to change?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...gal-as-uk-changes-copyright-law-a6751466.html

The UK has made it illegal once again to make personal copies of you music so that you can store them in the cloud, or rip songs from CDs.

The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) has decided to abandon an exception to copyright law that allowed people to make copies of media for their own personal use. That means that in theory people could be sent to jail simply for using iTunes.

The exception was introduced in October 2014 to ensure that people could use the music that they owned across different devices.

But it was the subject of a judicial review from industry bodies in June this year. The High Court ruled that the exception was flawed and abandoned it, meaning that making any copy of media is illegal.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That's going to work isn't it ?
    :D

kent1 likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Hmm, so by the letter of the law, if I want to play music on an phone/mp3 player but also on my laptop, I should buy it twice? The sheer absurdity of that makes me feel that they deserve to lose the battle against the pirates.

PS So when will this happen for books then? At the moment if I buy a book from amazon I can read it on both my kindles, my laptop and my android kindle app.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Well this means I am fully justified in staying with old technology. Proper books and CDs. (I can even lend them to friends ;)(or is this now outlawed).

5. sparkleghirl

Ah, but there are ways, lizziescat, there are ways ;)

6. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Yes, I think so.

Or if you buy a CD and copy it onto your Ipod/Phone/MP3 player.

Or if you download some music onto your PC/Laptop, and then listen to it through your Ipod/Phone/MP3 player.

Madness!

(But don't, whatever you do, listen to them on your MP3 player!)

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's a law that criminalises many - including me. It's also a law that makes it difficult to use some commonplace devices legally.
    The ability of "big brother" to spy on computers is worrying. The media companies may not currently be pursuing Joe Public for putting his music on the mp3 player - but they might in the future. Many people bought digital files on the internet with the express intention of putting them on portable media players - via their computers. The vendors and media companies know this was what their customers were doing. I can't download directly to my mp3 player without using my computer.
    What of Amazon's autorip where you buy an CD and an mp3 file?

8. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

What an asinine law. If I buy something [as I do on iTunes and also on the talking book site Audible] I copy stuff on to my iPod and iPhone as a matter of course. And only last month I copied my entire CD library on to a Brennan and sold the CDs to Music Magpie [which paid for the Brennan]. I have bought and paid for the CDs, music and the books, and I can do what I like with them as far as I can see so long as I don't charge anyone to listen to them. And in some ways it's about time the record industry got some of its own back - they have ripped off performing artists in all fields for years, but now the boot is marginally on the other foot they expect further subsidy from their customers. Bloody cheek.

9. lizziescat

So I'll have to cancel my subscription now to Audible, Amazon and various other commercial enterprises who find it cheaper to sell me digital stuff than to have to post out the 'real' thing. guess they're happy to lose that custom.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Be very carefull with Amazon and Apple MP3s; they both embed compromisible account details such as your email within the file metadata of MP3s.

11. sparkleghirl

So, rather than ripping or copying the legal version you bought and paid for, best download a pirate version, DRM stripped, from behind a vpm, to listen on your phone?

Seriously, they're just encouraging piracy. it's ludicrous. To extend the logic to other areas, I can't now lend my neighbour the lawnmower, or my best friend my fancy new jacket, they have to go out and buy their own? Why should music be any different?

(My phone has the mp3 of a favourite song as the ring tone and another as the alarm tone. I suppose that's illegal now too)

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If somebody buys a CD as a present for me, does this law allow me to play it?

13. sparkleghirl

Good question. If I'm playing music at home and someone comes to visit, do i have to turn the music off? Pay royalties?

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

means you cant play a track to a school audience without owning the CD but its illegal to play your music to an audience without a license.
    If i buy My cd in or from another country is that also illegal to move to several devices? e i buy it off an American or German sit of business.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes but only if you promise not to listen while its playing.

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I would like the court to take 9,765 other similar offences into consideration.

17. lizziescat

So does this mean Audible's Whispersync is legal or illegal?

18. lizziescat

Just wonder how far the individuals comprising 'The High Court' actually understand digital media.

19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I expect they think digital is something to do with fingers ...

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So basically get it all off your computer onto a large capacity micro SD card and play it through a mini speaker so iTunes can't snoop on you.