1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

using ipads for aqa gcse photography

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by pinnylady, Oct 17, 2012.

1. pinnylady

pinnylady New commenter

Hi all
    Has anyone had any experience of or know of anyone who has used ipad's for gcse photography? Our school has ringfenced funding for ipads at the moment and rather than putting in a development bid for camera's and laptops I wondered if getting a number of ipads would be easier and more cost effective?
    thanks in advance for any advice

2. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

The ipad makes a great camera. In terms of editing and processing photos it is limiting for exam wok as most effects require little user input. You see, with programmes like Photoshop, you can really manipulate images and own that process. There are some good animation apps too but it doesn't show the skill of planning or setting up a camera. I love iPads but you need to celebrate what they can do and recognise what they can't do. There is some excellent ipad work on http://tallisphoto.tumblr.com/ and this also has links to their Flickr pages.

3. pinnylady

pinnylady New commenter

Thanks artcrisis, is the photoshop for ipad app not good enough for that level of manipulation? think I might be better bidding for cameras and laptops for more flexibility, maybe a couple of dSLR's and 10/12 compacts. SLT want me to start gcse photography for top set year 9, was hoping that ipads would do it all!

4. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

There isn't yet a good Photoshop app. One day maybe. You should go for compacts and for SLRs or Bridge. You would get good effects with iPAD but not give the students the essential ownership.