1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Hercules DVD in literacy lessons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shmamey, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Currently planning a literacy unit linked with Ancient Greece topic. I am doing Myths and legends, and plan to use hercules DVD and text, however, I'm not sure how to incorporate the DVD into the lessons. Should we just watch the whole DVD in one lesson? Any ideas of how to use the DVD would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

2. I have uploaded SATS revision activities for Hercules - most english genre. We watched Hercules and then we did the activities linked to it. You will find these activities on TES - uploaded in May-June
    Iffat Sardharwalla

3. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Great film; I wouldn't watch it all, though - you'll get much more out of it in bits. We did activities including:

- descriptive writing on monsters after watching the scene with the Hydra
    - past, present and future tenses using the Fates (very funny scene, my lot thought!)
    - newspaper articles on Herc's rise to fame
    - design a machine to train Hercules and write a training plan
    - viewpoints - Zeus and Hades writing about the christening party

Can't remember the rest. Probably have the plans kicking about somewhere but it was a couple of years ago so not new framework!

4. Hiya,

We used Hercules with our year 3's this year but the planning we have is for year 4's though could be stretched to higher in KS2.

If you leave your email address, I'm happy to send the planning and resources used over to you - it lasted about 6 weeks for us!

Kate

5. Don't spoze I could jump on the bandwagon and ask for a copy could I? I have been watching this thread as it is something I am hoping to do in the Autumn Term alongside the Ancient Greeks! Your resources would be a great help! Thanks
    hannahbutler1@hotmail.com

6. Hi there, I know you did this a while back, but I'm a 2nd yr student teacher doing Hercules (my idea) struggling a bit, I'm doing it with yr 5's. thy're quite naive, so it'll be good for them. I've introduced Myths and legends, and they chose this one..I want them to write a story in the end.. any help, ideas suggestions?

hannahholland85@hotmail.com

thank you xx

7. funkyyay

funkyyay New commenter

Hi, I don't suppose I could also get a copy of anyones planning of Hercules /myths and Legends. we're beginning to go more creative this year and I've just joined a new schoo where there is very little planning or resources. Anything would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    funkyyay@yahoo.com