1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using GLD as target for age related in year 2.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taddy, Feb 9, 2018.

1. taddy

taddy New commenter

My target for RWM is 47% based on where they were at the end of year 1 (which I have reached ) but I am being told at PMR that the target is 65% based on their GLD. SMT are telling me that its standard practice across the country for year 2 age related targets to be set based on the children's GLD score at the end of EYFS . Have other members had this too? Is it a government thing ..or just SMT being their usual goalpost moving selves?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I'm not sure if it is standard practice, but I imagine the thinking is:
    The LA will judge your school based on their base level targets. Therefore your SMT will have to explain if they don't meet this, so are passing this down to you to deliver. Because of this, they then purposely ignore all other relevant data that would give a more accurate prediction of what is likely to be achieved.

TBH I'm surprised they're not predicting degree grades based on GLD scores.

3. taddy

taddy New commenter

Ha ha - I need an M.A. to work out all the data coming from management... The same SMT have set Year 3 targets on end of KS1 and 4,5 & 6 don't have GLD ( as pre that system) so set on previous years - life without levels? ( Hollow laugh)

4. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

We set our targets at the start of the year for KS1 from where they left EYFS. We set KS2 targets from where they left KS1. This is ultimately how progress is measured so it is what should be done in my opinion. However these are not necessarily the PMR targets for individual teachers as we are moving away from these being % based on attainment and more on teacher development.

We also discuss the children individually, what is happening to them to affect their attainment/progress and look at all those factors. Important to look at those children who were not with you for those assessment points ie those who have joined the school as well as home factors, school factors etc.

5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately the idea will soon be that KS2 progress will be measured on an EYFS baseline.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

47% is mega low. Plenty wouldn't get away with 65% either.

Could be much worse.

7. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

Strikes me as madness.

My daughter is in Y2 and we are being "invited to purchase" revision guides. She is 6 for goodness sake.

Say she does really well, then what? A higher target for KS2 and pressure on the Year 6 teacher?

Push her through that and suddenly she is under pressure because of her high KS2 performance and she is having to go to extra GCSE revision classes to ensure she meets target grades?

Pomza likes this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

With sustained good teaching during the school day, no 'revision' is necessary...

9. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

My year 2 classes for the past two years were judged on progress from their EYFS scores.

They were also judged against national expected standards, and past year groups, and each child against other children in their 'group' (EAL, SEN, boys, girls, G&T, PP, etc).

I also sat with the SLT and explained the ins and outs of each child.

Last year, I was moderated and all of the data I had sat and discussed with SLT put us in a good position because we could explain the progress, the attainment and the personal details affecting the children. SLT just want to be prepared and in possession of all possible information in the event that they are grilled by inspectors or moderators.