1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using French/Spanish pop songs for listenings

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tobyr2385, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Evening all
    I would argue that many French and Spanish pop songs have some case for language learning - whether it be vocabulary or providing a proper context for verb recognition/acquisition.
    Is it straying too far from the prescribed lesson content, or is this just some crazy idea I've had because my mentor seems very pleased with all my ideas so far?
    Simply, I'm curious to know what people's attitudes are and whether I should be crazy enough to do it or not, be it next week or in the future!

2. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

ah, you have to put it up, even if your year 8s don't appreciate it! Someone else, will, you see- I certainly would (trying to get my year 10's to produce the preterite correctly at the mo, as it happens!).
    Do have a look at the Spanish songs I've done- the werewolf one is quite funky, for example. It's all about sharing, sharing, sharing! [​IMG]
    (This website, not the song- that's about a wer-man) (doh!)

3. Evening all
    I'm not quite sure how my Year 8s reacted to the song itself, but I know for a fact that it threw them completely out of their comfort zone.
    Within the context of this particular lesson, it didn't work out for me too well, considering this is still my training placement and after reflection I can see why.
    The song was quick.
    I haven't properly taught them the regular conjugations of the yo and tu forms of the preterite tense, so expecting them to listen to and then write in some of the irregular verb forms into a gap was a huge expectation for them to achieve on my part.
    In retrospect my worksheet was quite difficult to understand.
    However, it's not to say it won't work for you in the future, so I will be uploading this resource for you all to use over the next few days, when I have a minute to pause for breath!
    Thank you for your encouragement, because I felt quite unhappy about it immediately after the lesson, simply because it didn't turn out the way I expected. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

4. whapbapboogy

Well done for giving it a go and putting all the effort into it!
    With my first few attempts to make gapfills out of popsongs, I made the mistake of taking too many words out- now I think up to 14 is about the right number. My muppet song went down a bit like lead today, as well, (about a third of them said they thought it was funny) and I was expecting more enthusuasm! I think sometimes the songs give <u>us </u>a lot more fun to discover, do something with and give to classes than <u>the class</u> as a whole <u>gets</u> from it<u>-</u> but a lot of this job is about keeping your enthusiasm, sense of humour and enjoyment going, as a person yourself- otherwise, how can you expect to engender it in any of the kids you teach?
    I did have one girl say, 'Oh, good- I LOVE it when we do songs!'- so that will do for me. Disappointed with Chris Evans on radio 2- he's been making a big deal of the muppet song every day, and I know from listening to him that he likes discovering songs in MFL and playing them- so I emailed him yesterday with details and asked, if he played the Spanish one, to dedicate it to my year 10 class, at my school, and he DID play it today, but just said well done to his team for finding it! Pah.

5. whapbapboogy

Please excuse the poor grammar in the last post. I tried to edit it, but it was too late, it wouldn't let me.
    What DID work well today was using the whiteboards after doing the gapfill, getting the pupols to make up sentences using the words and structures from the song gapfill, reinforcing vocab and infinitives they have already met. Subsequent hw- learn the words, then next lesson I shall start with a starter ex of getting them to translate sentences like the ones we did today, for further consolidation and practice manipulating the language.
    A really nice hw after a song is also to get THEM to find a French/German etc popsong and bring the link into class. They really like doing this and I have acquired some corkers through them, that I can then make gapfills for and do with other classes/share with this website.

6. allieallie

allieallie New commenter

I have used French and Spanish songs with great success. I particularly like David Bisbal and you can find him on You Tube. He is young and goodlooking which is quite motivating for the girls in the class. Another popular Latin American singer is Juanes and there is an excellent site for able students which has a number of songs linked to grammar on it. The link is www.colby.edu/~bknelson/SLC/index.php
    I also use songs by Luis Fonsi as they are quite slow and the vocab is not too tricky.

7. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

No, I'm not impressed with Chris Evans!

8. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I like your ideas for developing the song vocab further, wapbapboogey. I don't think I exploit my songs enough. I tend to do a quick 10 minutes about a song at the end of a lesson, which is not enough for the song to really sink in. And it's when they've heard the song a few times that the music really sinks in.
    You can't really tell who will like which songs, and it's often quite surprising how strong the reactions are. But whether they like them or not, it's still useful for them to be exposed to them.

9. whapbapboogy

Well, I'm still going with my sentences based on the muppet song- tomorrow it will be a starter translating sentences like:
    Ultimately I ask myself, who is this muppet? Perhaps it is Kieran, or is Kieran a man? It's time to decide if the muppet is a woman.

And so on and so on. These are all phrases I took out for a gapfill, and I'm finding it's just good for getting them to manipulate the language in a very basic way.

10. whapbapboogy

Where's your <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">"Aqu&iacute; se termin&oacute;" by a Spanish singer called Edurne, Tobyr? </td></tr></table> I can't wait! [​IMG]

11. Here we are ladies and gentlemen, I've just uploaded the Edurne stuff, check my personal area for the resources.
    I've put the worksheet I did with Year 8 plus the solution for us teachers, though of course feel free change it for whatever abilities your pupils have.
    Feel free to leave me comments!

Toby

12. whapbapboogy

ah, thank you very much! :0)

I did check her out on youtube, and I think her flowing golden tresses, sylph-like figure should keep the boys' attention (as well as her heavenly voice, of course).
    Welcome to the TES sharing community! You won't look back! [​IMG]

13. whapbapboogy

sorry, I see you've uploaded loads- muchas gracias. [​IMG]

14. Hey everyone!
    You'll be pleased to know I passed the PGCE at Southampton with a rating of "Good". I now have a job at a school just up the M3, where I am a Spanish teacher.
    On Friday, I repeated the Edurne song with my Year 10s, as an end of term treat.
    Considering they're seven very tricky individuals, I was quite impressed and did put the preterite in context.
    I pretaught them the words before the song started, which took longer than I expected, but when the bell went for lunch - they didn't budge!

15. whapbapboogy

well done, you! [​IMG]

16. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

Thank you for posting that - I will definitely use some of your suggestions. Have never thought of reordering lyrics.
    Another idea is to split the class into teams, play the song, and stop it at random places. They have to tell you which word you stopped on, or which word was coming next. They love that and it makes them all follow and listen closely.
    I also do GCSE Reading style questions on the verses sometimes, where they match titles to verses.

17. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I'll add your ideas to my page. Thanks, Kate.