1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using DfE KS2-KS4 Transition Matrices to judge a subjects performance

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Cyberman, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Cyberman

Cyberman New commenter

2. Luke-2015

Luke-2015 New commenter

Hi. Thank you for the information regarding how combined science grades were converted. To convert them back to a double grade (so I can enter them into 4matrix), would you simply just double up, i.e. a minimum target grade of a 5 would become 5-5?

Also, I noticed that MFL languages are always generating a P8 around 0.0. How would we explain this, considering all other subjects are giving round about 0.5 (+/- 0.1ish)?

As for the AS qualifications, would you suggest using the GCSE9-1 (all) transition matrix and then convert the grade to the equivalent AS grade, e.g. a GCSE grade 6 would be equivalent to an AS grade of a D?

3. Cyberman

Cyberman New commenter

4. Cyberman

Cyberman New commenter

Hi, sorry for the late reply I have only just seen your second question.

1. Yes the simplest solution for double science is to simply double the target grade so for example a 5 becomes a 55.

2. I will check the MFL data, it should not come out to 0 with an ordinary cohort.

3. Your solution for AS levels is a workable compromise, as I said in my last message I will be updating and improving the spreadsheets and methodology when next year's national data is released. I am hoping the DfE will also issue some KS2 to AS level data as well then.