1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using describing words - year 1 SEN/EAL

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Feb 6, 2011.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I am currently on placement teaching traditional tales and using Goldilocks and the three bears. For my next lesson I am making porridge with the children and they will be tasting it and then using words to describe the porridge.
    However majority of the children are EAL & SEN and currently on phase 2/3. I am struggling to come up with writing activities for the children. Does anyone have any ideas? I had thought about using vocabulary cards, however I'm worried in case they start copying all the words.

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I am currently on placement teaching traditional tales and using Goldilocks and the three bears. For my next lesson I am making porridge with the children and they will be tasting it and then using words to describe the porridge.
    However majority of the children are EAL & SEN and currently on phase 2/3. I am struggling to come up with writing activities for the children. Does anyone have any ideas? I had thought about using vocabulary cards, however I'm worried in case they start copying all the words.

3. You could take photos of the chn tasting the porridge and use it as a writing frame for them to add speech bubbles to. I find getting the chn to generate lots of talk and getting them to help spell the words and display them gives them ownership of the writing, the chn will need a word bank, as long as you stress it is just to help and not copy, Hope that helps

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Why not generate word banks with the children, each group could add words to it, either adult scribing or children writing depending on ability. Then they could use their word banks to write descriptive sentences.

5. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks I was hoping to do this as a whole group thing on the board before moving onto tables and then use adult support to scribe.