1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using current chart music in KS3 lessons - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Firebird123, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Hi all
    I'd really like to use more 'up to date' music in my KS3 lessons to teach different aspects of the curriculum.
    We already use things like Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise, Oasis, Bob Marley, Elvis, and various dance artists like Moby, Faithless to teach specific aspects of compositional devices/elements of music and also for Musical Futures-style lessons; and when doing listening tasks identifying features of a certain genre of music I do try and use tracks from my 'Now 78' CD... but I was wondering if anyone had some more specific ideas for tracks?
    Many thanks! [​IMG]

2. I have been suprised a how much children DON'T know about the music that they "listen" to. Of course, they don't "listen" the "hear" which is completely different.
    my students constantly ask me to use up-to-date- music and I constantly ignor them. However I can see that there are many musical features that you can teach through popular tunes.
    I hope, however, that you will ballance it by giving proper music a look-in! I find that, given half the chance and the correct choice of music, children can get wildly excited about all kinds of music from previous centuries - one of my most successful pieces is Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima. Another is Mars from the Planets. "Could you play it again" is often the cry (about Mars) at any rate - "Don't every play that again" was normally the cry for Threnody - which is an equally good reaction I think.

3. Hello!

I have also used Avicci in quite a few of my lessons - Levels, and Penguin are both great examples for analysisng dance music but also for wider composition techniques. Most of my pupils were composing dance style songs (as this was a Music ICT module with Year7) and that is what they like to compose! Avicci is fantastic for sampling too. His song Levels samples Etta James, and Flo Rida has recently sampled Avicci's version of Levels - so is a sample chain! A great way into talking about he music industry - copyright etc. But I found it was great to link the music they listen to to past influences and how the music we listen to is all related in some way. It really does broaden their horizons. I also think it can be a good way to introduce them into really 'listening' to music - you can use many songs they will know and like in the charts or music from TV/film/ads etc to demonstrate dynamics, tempo, instrumentation, structure etc. I think this is as much 'proper' music as anything else! My kids who were notoriously hard to engage loved this!

Other ideas great for demonstration of musical elements as well as engaging: Adele, Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Take That.

Hope this helps! :)

4. Another quick one - ask them to choose a piece each and analyse together - that way you find out exactly what your pupils enjoy and is important part of shaping them as musicians. Getting them to make choices and decide what they do and don't like.

5. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

I'm going to try this one next week - google this:
    i need a dollar teaching music

6. ict04

ict04 New commenter

Nice one!

7. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

I like to use so called 'pop' songs from the hit parade in my music appreciation classes too.
    'Brown Girl in the Ring' goes down well, as do my Charles Aznavour long-players. It's difficult keeping abreast of the most recent popular music beat combos but the BBC Light Programme is a good starting point.
    Lennox