1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Charlotte's Web in year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Montana_x, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi everyone,

Just want to get some advice. Next term I would like use Charlotte's Web with my year 3 class. Our topic is geography based and this will include looking at our local area and wider area where there is a big farming aspect. Therefore I think this book would work well. However, I'm unsure of how best to use it. It's relatively long and would take lots of time to read through in just English lessons, so how could I make this into a unit of work on narrative without compromising? I understand some of the story would need to be read outside of lessons too.

I'm new to the new curriculum and want to make sure I get this right!

2. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

I have used Charlotte's Web as a novel study in Primary 5 but there is great potential to make it part of a much wider interdisciplinary approach. A quick Google search reveals a wide range of cross-curricular activities linked to the book that could permeate near enough all aspects of the curriculum. This doesn't mean you'd have to abandon the current programmes being used in your school, if there is an expectation that you should be using these, but you could certainly alternate between them. Start and finish your day with 5 minutes of reading the book and link homework tasks to it. Perhaps as a special treat, you could show them the dvd to provide a very visible stimulus for discussion too.

3. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter