1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using an IPad

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by andyh246, Mar 7, 2016.

1. andyh246

andyh246 New commenter

does anyone have any good apps to use during lessons and teaching in general. It's just for my iPad as the school hasn't got them for students.

Would just like to bring a bit more ICT into my science and PE lessons.

I have downloaded the teacherkit app but it seems very long winded to use!

Thanks in advance

Andy

2. smiteu

smiteu New commenter

andy

i have used plickers with a bottom set of lads (pe) - easy to do and actually gets everybody in class involved in answers

https://plickers.com/

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Plickers is good if you put in a little time to prepare questions.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If an app attempts to emulate something a teacher can do by eye then it's a waste of time and attention, and often money. When it requires additional preparation, like Plickers, then I don't see why anyone would bother. Time spent serving apps is not time spent teaching.

wanet likes this.
  5. kerensaann

kerensaann New commenter

Socrative for quizzes is good, but the most useful thing is to take my iPad around the class and keep a running diary of student progress. With photos. I can then 'publish' good work instantly to the projector.

6. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

I like Kahoot! The kids love it

7. amchugh

amchugh New commenter

Hi Andy

Have a read of my blog post on using iPads in lessons. If you have any questions then just leave a comment on the blog, or tweet me at @guruteaching.

From another Andy

8. nernstlaw

nernstlaw New commenter

My ipad is essential for my planning and mark book (idoceo)
    ive also switched to using explain everything instead of powerpoint
    socrative is OK but relies on kids using their own phones if you dont have ipads for them
    edmodo is quite a good educational 'facebook' if the kids respond to that sort of thing.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  9. SumayyaI

SumayyaI New commenter

10. Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin New commenter

Hi,

I love using iDoceo to record grades, plan my lessons and as a random picker, love being able to easily share photos and pictures of pupil progress at parents evenings.

I also use itunesU for uploading lesson resources. I don't think it is that user friendly and am actually thinking of switching to using a blog instead. I did use it for a while and had a completely paperless classroom for one unit but after feedback from my students I resorted back to jotters (they found it much more time consuming editing and writing on the iPad)

I use Quizlet to upload word banks.
    Socrative for MCQ tests I use for homework and Kahoot for in class formative quizzes.