1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using an iPad to take a SIMS register?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by chris_elevate, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know of a way I could use an iPad (connected to the network) to take a register in SIMS?
    I've tried logging in through Citrix (as our school has this) but it's not great?
    Anyone do anything similar?
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    Does anyone know of a way I could use an iPad (connected to the network) to take a register in SIMS?
    I've tried logging in through Citrix (as our school has this) but it's not great?
    Anyone do anything similar?
    Thanks

3. I know stuff all about SIMS, but there's two possible routes ; firstly if it has a browser interface, the Browser on the iPad (looks like a Safari variant) should work. Secondly if it has a serial console interface, there may well be a serial terminal (possibly) available. Presumably it would hve to telnet over the internet.

4. Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm not sure what you mean in your questions so I'm unable to answer them

Please could you let me know about how I can get it up and running on sims

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I can't see how you can directly without using an app created by capita. There is a possible solution though, if you leave a networked machine in your school on permenantly with SIMS open then you could used something like mocha vnc to get your ipad to control that particular machine and thus be able to enter data.

6. Capita were demoing a SIMS iPad/iPhone app at BETT, it looked impressive if your into that sort of thing...

7. We do through terminal service.[​IMG] Will find out more from my network boffins

8. The Capita SIMs APP was on display at BETT which I saw. It does the register nicely, but inputting behaviour data will be in the next release. The unbelievable thing is the price - £3,000 for an annual site licence!! You can pay £299 for a single licence with £99 for each subsequent licence but I think this is an astonishing rip off for what it is. Am I alone in this?

9. It's a bit primative, but vnc should work. I use it to let me use ranger remote control from my iphone via my classroom computer