1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using agency to find long term position

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by MarionMcGowan, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hi all, I'm an Irish maths teacher looking to find work in England next September but because of my personal situation I don't have the time to be sending multiple CVs and going to and from multiple interviews in the UK. I am hoping to get long term work, at least 1 year, in a school using an agency. Is this a good idea and if so, can you refer me to any (good) agencies that work in London and the South of England.
    I'm currently looking into attending an iday with engage education, and I'm also considering elite education and chase resourcing. If anyone has any particular advice on these agencies I'd appreciate it.

2. Hi, I would suggest you ITN Mark.It can be time taking so shouldn't be the first and only preference.Good luck.

3. The job situation is such that you can't really afford to be picky about supply agencies I'm afraid. You will need to join about five at least for optimum chance of getting work. At least one of those will turn out to be a dud that gets you no work so you need to maximise chances. You will also need to be living in England in order to be able to go to an interview at the drop of a hat. I'm in a permanent job now but I got it by doing a supply post first and I was told about the interview for that the day before. My husband and I are both Irish and working here as teachers. Masterclass is a good agency.

4. I'm not looking to apply for supply but for a long term position of 1 year at least. There are several agencies that come to ireland sourcing teachers of in demand subjects for english schools. Has anyone any experience with agencies of this sort?? also do you think these agencies are giving irish teachers a realistic picture of the situation in England...?
    I will be relocating once I have secured a job (fingers crossed) and I want to have some input into the area and type of school I work in. Thats why I feel its so important that I get an agency that is looking after my interests as much as their own. Thanks for the advice.