1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

using accents in edexcel exams

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by madjessy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. We are doing When I was a girl I used to scream and shout for our Unit 2 exam in y12.
    I want to stay faithfull to the text but the directorial concept I'm pushing with the girls is "Who does a girl learn from" because of my faithfulness to the text I'm pushing the girls for the sccottish accents but they are struggling a tthis early stage and I am in two minds as to whether or not to scrap them as they are strong actresses and I dont want to damage that in favour of a bunch of Billy Connoly impersonations.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with dropping accents. Do they get more vocal marks? Thanks in advance.

2. We are doing When I was a girl I used to scream and shout for our Unit 2 exam in y12.
    I want to stay faithfull to the text but the directorial concept I'm pushing with the girls is "Who does a girl learn from" because of my faithfulness to the text I'm pushing the girls for the sccottish accents but they are struggling a tthis early stage and I am in two minds as to whether or not to scrap them as they are strong actresses and I dont want to damage that in favour of a bunch of Billy Connoly impersonations.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with dropping accents. Do they get more vocal marks? Thanks in advance.

3. Hi.
    I don't know the play but is there any reason in the play why they have to be Scottish? I would definitely say scrap the accents if they're struggling with them. I'd put something in my director's interpretation to explain why but as they are marked so specifically on voice I think they would be in danger of losing marks if the accents are dodgy/slip during performance/detract from the way that they use their voices. There is a comment in the adequate band (can't remember exact quote) which says 'there are limitation which impair the performance' which I think they may find themselves faling into.
    Perhaps the best thing to do is 'ask the expert' on the Edexcel site which would give you a clear answer from the horse's mouth?

4. Hi,
    From the 2010 Examiner Report on Unit 2: <font size="3" face="Trebuchet MS"></font><font size="3" face="Trebuchet MS">"Centres are reminded that for both sections of this unit Edexcel has no issues with either accent or gender in performance. However, again this year, candidates tended to choose material that did not have cross gender playing and had worked on appropriate accents."
    I think given this, it sounds wise to scrap the accents. I agree with the previous post that you run the risk of negative impact on the 'voice' mark if the girls cannot fully control their use of accent.
    Best of luck with your exam.
    Best,
    Jess.
    </font>

5. Ours did an American text and we scrapped the accents. They still did really well so don't worry about accents.