1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Using academic titles

Discussion in 'Personal' started by albertdog, Oct 28, 2011.

  1. I just wondered how people feel about using academic titles. Should one insist upon it, or not? How do you feel about those that do?
  2. v12


    My school does (although not the PGCEs as, I suppose, they are taken as read).
    I like to when appropriate. I'm very proud of having a Masters degree - I had to work very hard for it.
    Nothing wrong with being proud of your efforts in any particular field of study and I think the children really like the display of hoods and gowns on special occasions as well.
    I'm always very suspicious of schools who don't acknowledge staff qualifications and even more so when websites don't even have a staff list to peruse - never quite understood why they should be so secretive about it.

  3. marlin

    marlin Star commenter

    My DiL is studying for a PhD in Chemistry. I shall be very proud to call her Doctor once she has completed her studies - she will have worked very hard for many years to achieve this.
  4. Captain Obvious

    Captain Obvious New commenter

    If you've got it, use it.
    There are a couple of doctors in my school, although I don't know whether it's in their subject or education, and they're referred to by that title.
    If I'd have done the crazy amount of work required for a doctorate, I think I'd insist on it!
  5. My other half uses his title (Dr). The only time he is 'Mr' is when booking airline tickets as he dreads the scenario where a (medical) doctor is needed and the crew pick him out from the passenger list!
  6. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    My ageing French teacher used to sign all our school reports 'S M Brown MA'

    Small wonder she became known to us ignorant louts as Ma Brown.
  7. Seems to me having a doctorate is wasted in teaching.
    Just goes to show that the pantomime horses head does not have to match the rear end when it comes to our education system.
  8. katycustard

    katycustard Occasional commenter

    Good luck, I look forward to hearing how you got on!
  9. Mangleworzle

    Mangleworzle Star commenter

    Do you people with PhD's ever use the phrase "Trust me I'm a doctor"? I'd use it all the time.
  10. There's an issue of etiquette here. I was taught that titles in correspondence and in conversation are afforded you by others, so you shouldn't even refer to yourself or introduce yourself as Mr! However, it's OK to add qualifications after your name e.g. 'House M.D.' not 'Dr. House'.
  11. I have often thought that I should add thee letters to my name TND as I am an official trained Newt Handler !
  12. For many years I worked in a college, where my line manager had the first name DEAN.
    We would occasionally refer callers to our boss, DEAN Littler.
    Many thought it was his job title! They thought they were dealing with the big boss.
  13. illicited??
  14. the evil tokoloshe

    the evil tokoloshe New commenter

    I try my best not to use the title (Dr), however, it seems that when people find out you just get known as Doc regardless of whether it is medical or not (in my case). At universities it is not uncommon to be addressed as Prof regardless of whether you are or not and some students get rather confused and address you as Mr/Dr/Prof/Sir ummmmmm... before asking the question they need answered. Oh, and thesis titles, having seen many wonderful ones, I still think that the simpler the better. Both my Masters and PhD theses do exactly what they say on the tin.
  15. If we're talking etiquette, it is correct to call someone as Dr or Professor, if they have the academic qualifications to be addressed in such a fashion, but I don't think a Masters' degree entitles someone to be called 'master'. The term 'Master' is appropriately used to refer to an underage male, which would not be the effect people would be looking for, I feel! You would be a 'Master of Arts or Science' but just as the rest of us don't put 'Bachelor' etc in front of our names, it is not correct to use it!
    I quite fancy being a 'Professor'... it has an air of gravitas and permitted eccentricity. I don't think that will happen though!
  16. I work in the education department of a prison and a colleague who had a Ph.D. tried this to extreme derision. If you are tempted to try this just be careful where you are it can come back and bite you!
  17. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    Years ago, I worked in a school where one of the science dept had a PhD and flaunted it. The rest of the staff took great delight in sending endless parades of kids with ailments to her ('Go and see Dr Bloggs with that, she'll know what to do...' etc). How we all laughed...
  18. Go for it, you're probably in a minority.
  19. the evil tokoloshe

    the evil tokoloshe New commenter

    Not to mention the perceived value of each qualification according to its subject area and the University from which it was procured.
    Don't even get me started on research publications...........
  20. Just about every single doctor I've encountered in teaching has, for some reason, been a chemistry teacher. And all of them have been barking mad.

Share This Page