1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using a Wii in the classroom

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by peppermint25, Dec 15, 2011.

1. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences of using the Wii console as a vehicle for learning across the curriculum - to hook, engage and enrich the learning experience. Do any of you have it or use it? What do think about using a console in the classroom.

If you do use it how do you integrate it into the curriculum? I currently use a lot of ICT within the classroom and have began to think about the wealth of possibilities for the Wii. In particular, for our topic coming up on the Olympics I could use Mario London Olympics 2012 as a stimulus and context for learning.

Thank you, any suggestions or opinions would be very much appreciated :)

2. I've used the Wii in a couple of different schools and classes. Firstly when I was doing a space topic with a P5/6 my husband (who's v. interested in computer games) told me there was a downloadable thing for looking at constellations. It was fantastic! You could say where you were and which direction you were looking and it showed what the stars are like as if you could see them in the sky and could move around through time and space to see what the sky's like at different times. Also could read up on the constellations and names of stars (which led into literacy activities). The children loved it! V. keen to see what the sky was like when they were born!
    The next time was with a P3 class who were learning about sea life. Used Ocean Life (which I already had) in which you are a researcher who dives in the sea and finds sea creatures to learn about. The more you interact the more you learn. V. peaceful and calming but would've been better if the children were older and could read the information themselves.

3. I have used the Wii with Kororimpa when investigating forces, Ocean Life has been used in school. We use Just Dance (with revolving controller users) for PE. Great for whole class use but when used with a group, the rest of the class can't ignore - yet!!

4. peppermint25

Thank you for all these wonderful ideas! They have given me lots of food for thought. I think I will have to firstly get myself knowledgeable with the games and then gage their potential in the classroom. It's great to know that their are teachers out there who have and are using the Wii. Many thanks! :)

5. I've just finished using Band Hero as a basis for interdisciplinary topic with upper school. Have used Just Dance, Mario Kart & Brain Training (DS) in the past. Would thoroughly recommend using the Wii or any other console. You should join the Consolarium on Glow for lots of ideas and advice on Games Based Learning.
    I'm addicted and already planning GBL topics for next class in August :)

6. I've just finished using Band Hero as a basis for interdisciplinary topic with upper school. Have used Just Dance, Mario Kart & Brain Training (DS) in the past. Would thoroughly recommend using the Wii or any other console. You should join the Consolarium on Glow for lots of ideas and advice on Games Based Learning.
    I'm addicted and already planning GBL topics for next class in August :)

7. Oops... but still can't figure out how to post on these forums, sorry for double post :)

8. peppermint25

Thanks hollyshort! I have had a look on glow and that site is excellent for ideas and advice! I am about to begin a topic on the Rainforest after the holidays and was wondering if you have any ideas on games which I could use as a hook or to enrich the experience for the children?

Thanks!
    :)

9. Great topic & kids always enjoy it! Can't think of any games off the top of my head but I'll certainly think about it & let you know if I come up with anything. I have always started with the game and planned an interdisciplinary topic around it which I think is much easier. I'm sure there will be something out there that will be useful!

A few questions for you:
    What class do you have?
    Does it have to be a Wii game or do you have access to other consoles?
    Do you have access to an ipad or MacBook?

10. You should try the U draw pad with the Wii....a whole host of new possibilities open up with it....from playing hangman (spelling revision) to learning how to draw, expressionist artwork ..... the list goes on!! The pad itself costs around £37.

11. The consolarium can also let you hire out wiis and xboxs as well as other consoles to use in the classroom. Although I think you have to plan ahead as they get hired out fast! Good if your school doesn't have any game consoles and you are thinking of investing! :)