1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using a VLE

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by apmcarthur, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Hi everyone

I am setting up a new VLE - The previous HOF had setup our old one but we're switching to Edmodo now and I'm starting pretty much from scratch.

I'd love some ideas of how we could use our VLE, so far I have figured out how to do the following -

Setup classes
    Assign word documents to classes
    Create and assign multiple choice quizzes for students

I think so far I'm going to setup some worksheets followed by a multiple choice quiz to follow.

I know theres probably going to be hundreds of threads on this already and I'm sure I'm gonna get told off for posting this question again but if anyone can throw any suggestions my way - I really would be very grateful.

Any suggestions welcome...

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In my last school I loved the facility to 'set up' my lesson with all the relevant links to websites which children might use - useful if one's absent too. We also had a 'post comments' facility to feedback for AfL or end of unit assessment.
    I published an end of school magazine written by the pupils,which they could show to their parents (saved a fortune not having to print it and we could use colour).

3. Brilliant! Some great ideas!

4. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

We're using moodle, and I've set up separate courses for year 7, 8 and 9 homework, with a guest password that can be given to parents so they can see what's set. Links to the relevant homework from the course units.
    Summary of each lesson, with resources and hand-in points, then at the end a multichoice test, possibly a written online test as well but separate so they get the multi marked straight away, plus an online assignment which is evaluating the unit, what they've learnt and what they found interesting/boring/tough/easy. I then reply to this with feedback, targets and end of term grade.
    Kids love playing around in the forum if you provide one for them, and also enjoy changing their profile pictures. We turned off instant messaging though, it slowed things down far too much and distracted them from work (we don't have emails available to them either).