1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using a tagine on the hob

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by InkyP, Jan 7, 2012.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have been given a Tunisian tagine for Christmas, the leaflet with it says it can be used on the hob and I have seen them used on a small gas stove in Morocco. My question is, can it be used on a normal gas cooker or would I need to use a diffuser mat? If so where can I get one?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hi, Soulmate!
    We use a wok base, which is one of those tallish, circular things that you put under woks. It works a treat under our tagine.
    We've bought quite a few daft things on our travels but we use our tagine a lot. It's a really useful addition to our kitchen. So don't stick it on a top shelf and forget about it - you'll find it becomes a trusted friend that you'll want to use over and over again.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Hi!
    Thanks, I'll look for one of those. I bought a beautiful tagine in Fez about 10 years ago but a coach driver threw it off the bus when I was getting off at home and the base broke. I have used it in the oven with an ovenproof dish for a base but it's a bit awkard to handle. I'll try the wok base idea with the new one.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

You're obviously not a newcomer to tagines!

I keep meaning to cook a duck and quince tagine like the one we ate at a friend's house in Marrakesh. It was wonderful. If I find a recipe, I'll post it on here.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Sounds delicious [​IMG]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

It is, as long as you can find quinces!