1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using a library to tutor.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by briancant, Dec 5, 2019.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I've just had a request from a student who wants to meet and carry out the tutoring session in the local library. Question is this allowed? I like to have the legal guardian at least present in the house. Is it sensible and safe, this is a year 11 girl and I am a man? Has anyone else tutored in a library?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My first thought is, wouldn't it disturb other library users?

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Ask the library, many allow this for a set fee. My local library allows tutors with only one or two students to use the library for £5 an hour. Any more students than that at the same time, and they ask you to hire a room

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've used our (very small) library a couple of times, and asked them first as there are only a couple of tables, and they were absolutely fine about it (possibly helps that I've volunteered there). I also used the library in town once - I didn't actually ask, as there are lots of tables, spaced so you wouldn't be disturbing anyone, and I think quite a lot of people use it for similar purposes. I don't know whether my local library would have been less willing if it had been a regular thing - mine were one-offs. Certainly a sensible option if the library are happy.

5. suzette

suzette New commenter

I used to tutor at my local library a year 6 student. It was ok for the first 6mths and then they changed their rules so that all tutors had to rent their space to tutor instead. It wasn't financial viable for me, so that was what prompted me to begin tutoring in my studio at home.

It's best if you ask them before pitching up and doing it. You don't want the embarrassment of starting the lesson and having someone telling you it's not allowed.

6. suzette

suzette New commenter

These days libraries are so noisy at times. When I used to tutor at mine, the first ten minutes I had to compete with a singing tots group that had all sorts of children banging musical instruments! So I think as long as you're not shouting or talking over loud, you'll be fine!

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I have tutored in a library occasionally although I prefer not to. They can be rather noisy these days so I wouldn't worry about disturbing other people. Our main library has a study area upstairs but they enforce silence there fairly strictly so not suitable for tutoring. Sometimes it was hard to find a table to sit at.

I can't see any problem from a safeguarding point of view. You will be in a public place and there will be people around all the time.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

That's the other reason for asking - they'll be able to warn you about Rhymetime/similar. (In my library, those coming in to use computers shortly before Rhymetime would be warned, too, in case they decided they'd rather wait half an hour.)

9. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

They were very helpful at the library they said they could reserve a table for me at no cost. So I'll give it a go. Asked if I can meet the student with her guardians before the lesson to make sure she is happy because I suppose they won't be there.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  10. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I have tutored LAC at a local library arranged by the LA. It didn't suit me due to the behaviour of the children.

11. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Tutoring in a library works well for some students. I have even had other parents approach me and asking me if I am a tutor and ask for more information about tutoring. So there may be other advantages as well.

12. I'm male and I've tutored two A-level year 12 female students in the city centre library. It's worked really well and, all else being equal, it's my preferred place to tutor. As it's a public place and there are staff and others about, I haven't felt that there were any safeguarding issues to worry about.