1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using a game for maths primary interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LeonaJayne, May 5, 2019.

1. LJRS2019

LJRS2019 New commenter

Hello,
    I recently had a job interview at a school and I used a game based idea to develop problem solving, reasoning skills and fluency. I didn't get the job and the feedback from the head teacher was that the LO was vague (which was fair), he couldn't really see the direction I was taking the lesson and that he doesn't like using games to teach maths.
    I had an interview before this using the same activity and the feedback was much more positive saying my teaching was good, questioning good etc but they were just overall going with a stronger candidate.

My question is... I have another interview coming up. Same year group/maths activity/same number of children/ should I do the same activity and just act on the feedback? make it more specific, make sure the lesson has a valid end point? I really like the activity and other teachers who have seen it think it is good, it just depends on my delivery.

Thoughts? I am a little bit worried about changing the activity as it takes me time to be confident with my teaching. If I do the same activity then I know I will deliver it in a more confident manor each time.

I also need to do more research for my interview questions (again another feedback point) which I have. The next school I am going to interview at have a really lovely way that they split their maths up during the week, I thought that perhaps I could show them how I would incorporate the activity into a weeks topic based on how they split their maths up.

The silver lining with this is that the 3rd school is actually the job I wanted!

Any advise would be great
    Thanks

Oh and I am applying as an NQT just for your information.

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi LeonaJayne,

I hear what you say about being more confident with lessons you have taught before.

The advice you were given by the second school seems fair.

Whether you should try this games based approach depends on the pedagogical ethos of the school. If their school website mentions more of a focus on knowledge or with an academic curriculum, then this approach is unlikely to work during an interview.

Make sure you thoroughly research the school that you are keen on. And talk to teachers who are familiar with the school to get value sense of teaching style preferences.

Also, explore ways in which you could tweak what you have already planned with the games aspects removed.

All the best with your next interview.

Regards,

Bukky

3. stressed.kath

stressed.kath New commenter

What is the game? In my opinion, games can be used occasionally for reinforcement, practice or as a quick assessment activity but I don't really see them as a teaching tool. Unless the children are recording as they are playing, it's difficult to assess progress especially in a short space of time. Feel free to disagree with me. I am probably just not great at coming up with suitable games! However, you said it developed problem solving, fluency and reasoning so if it does do all of that I think it sounds great.