1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Users' grammar and spelling

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

On a site such as this, would you not expect users' grammar and spelling to be of a high standard?

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Eye thunk tha spellin and gwamar iz lik ovawated an u iz wel jealuz of ma mad skilz.

FigmentOYI and knitone like this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I am so glad that you are not teaching my children then;)

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Some errors can be explained as typos; sadly, too many cannot.

aspensquiver_2 and Lascarina like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Someone on the other thread 'Torres' said that if people posted that 2+2=5 we'd highlight that so why not spelling and grammar...

I thought it was a reasonable point to make.

nomad likes this.
  6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It might be more community-minded to adopt an approach of acceptance rather than expectation when it comes to other posters.

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I quite understand that it is inappropriate to be unpleasant, rude or offensive on these forums, but I agree that it would be reasonable to expect that a professional site, used primarily by those involved in education, should demonstrate a good standard of written English in their posts.

I agree with @Lascarina and I think that posts that are grammatically incorrect, misspelled and poorly punctuated are more difficult to read, therefore the point they are trying to make is lost.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Reasonable rather than high. It's not a place where I would expect people to proof read carefully for errors. I know my own typing is often poor and autocorrect makes a right mess of some of my sentences. And then there's the fact that I often write in the way I would talk and that isn't always formal, complete sentences.

At the same time I am sometimes surprised by the common errors I see here.

dljames2013, Yoda- and wanet like this.
  9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think it's a cheeky, and perhaps disrespectful, expectation of fellow posters to spend time deciphering your post when you could have simply proofread it before hitting 'post'. The odd error is OK by me but posts by people who claim to be/have been teachers that wouldn't even pass a basic Primary spelling & grammar test don't really look good.

Notwithstanding my own errors of course ;):oops:.

coffeekid, InkyP and foxtail3 like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Here we go the grammar police are back. Personally I don't care.If i had made mistakes when I were teaching I would be concerned....but on here I am not bowing to the police police.Sorry if you do not like it.
    In future if you do not like my style.please feel free to ignore or hop over. I can happily rant on to myself and it just adds to the pressure to drive folk away.

11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

12. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

On one of the threads I was effectively SPAG marked by an occasional poster. It was done in a most condescending way. They did not join that theads debate in any way. I did point out that the TES does advise against this correcting of posters. I used the ignore function for only the second time. I did I must confess wish I had other options....

Austin Powers - Sharks with lasers

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A good point... I've noticed on some threads people are more interested in nit-picking SPAG instead of engaging with the content and ideas.

snowflakesfalling and Yoda- like this.
  14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I've been SPAG marked too and on both occasions, it was because of typos. I was mortified that I hadn't proofread properly.

I think that those who insist that it doesn't matter are wrong. It does matter and it makes the post much easier to read and understand, particularly if it's a long one that requires paragraphs.

coffeekid likes this.
  15. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

But in the good old days, you could insult the poster's intelligence if you weren't all that enamoured of their opinion on a subject. Now all that's left is nit-picking the SpAG.
    I've recently acquired a Smart Phone (woooo get me) and must say it took some getting used to the tiny tiny touchpad and the automatic predictive text.
    If you think it's bad on here, you should see the last lot of application letters we got from teachers who presumably passed Key Skills tests (whatever they're called now) during their training. And don't get me started on the reports....

coffeekid and Yoda- like this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My view on the matter is that when I spell something incorrectly or use poor grammar, I feel I've let myself down a little. If someone picks it up, I'll take it on the chin so long as it's done in good humour and not as an attack.

The other thing to bear in mind is that in posting our immediate thoughts, we're not writing in a professional capacity, in which the content would be read over and over again, with corrections and changes made before publication. God, it would be dead on here if it took that much work to reply to a post. We have to anticipate there will be a degree of poor SPAG on a fast moving debate. So long as the content is interesting, I can live with it.

What I will say, taking up foxtail's point about paragraphs, is that on the occasions posters have really thought at some length about the points they want to make, if they don't think about using paragraphs to break the text up into digestible portions, they aren't doing themselves or their readers any favours.

Good points need the opportunity to stand out, and not be missed in a long bulk of text that's wearing on the eye to read.

RedQuilt and nomad like this.
  17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I mis thowz thredz wir we debated ow spellin woz the rute ov orl evil and ow it dint mata.

knitone likes this.
  18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I found there was a massive deterioration in the quality of writing in applications for teaching job from around 2003 onwards (and an increasing number of upper second and first class degrees went with it). I wonder if anyone can suggest any reasons for this.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Du u meen thoz thredz wear a sertin poosta wud argu 4 nu spellins?

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah sorry bout that... :) my bad.

cuteinpuce likes this.