1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

USEFUL UNION GUIDANCE FOR SUPPLY TEACHERS

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by snowyhead, Oct 15, 2015.

1. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Pink.papaver.gmail.com

2. ArchieandRonnie

ArchieandRonnie New commenter

Hi thanks for posting this.. not sure why I missed it. Anything on serious pupil allegations regarding supply teachers?

3. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

I'd like to campaign for the implementation of cancellation fees, that would stop or halt schools messing people around.
    I'm very restrained In the work place. But I'm not going back anyway. The universe conspires in my favour.

4. ten_bensons

ten_bensons New commenter

Billie2000 likes this.
  5. mathemaniac

mathemaniac New commenter

In Wales, a new supply framework came into effect in September (2020). This specified that supply teachers were paid a minimum of £127.72 per day (which is 1/195 of M1 salary). Agencies had to sign up to the framework. <rant on> This happened at first, until the agencies found that the schools could not (or would not) pay the rates they were charging in order to maintain their profit margins. Now agencies have come off framework and are providing supply teachers to broke schools, paying £90/day. If possible, schools get cover for only 4 lessons, so pay even less. As far as I am aware, the agencies are charging the schools somewhere upward of £160/day/supply teacher.
    The Welsh government was trying to break the monopoly that agencies have on providing supply teachers. They were also attempting to make the whole mess more transparent. Agencies on framework agreed to publish their fees. Now, because schools are so strapped for cash and agencies are maintaining their profits, the framework is being ignored.
    Two things are needed. One is for the Welsh assembly to enforce the framework. The second one (that is unlikely to happen) is for all state maintained schools to only take supply from agencies that are registered with the supply framework. Until this happens, supply teachers will continue to be used as a great way for agencies to earn great fees for minimal work.<rant off>

Sibs38 likes this.
  6. Billie2000

Billie2000 New commenter