1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

USEFUL UNION GUIDANCE FOR SUPPLY TEACHERS

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by snowyhead, Oct 15, 2015.

1. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

This has been published by the NUT and might prove useful reading before you embark on a career in supply teaching or if you have already joined the ranks.

Best wishes

Snowyhead

gcornwell and sebedina like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks for posting this.

snowyhead likes this.
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@TES_Rosaline - any chance this post can be 'pinned' or 'stickied'?

nearmiss likes this.
  4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Great idea Snowyhead. By the same token, the NUT's info. is open to supply teachers regardless of whether they are union members of members of another union. I would urge everyone to read the lot.
    There is a legal framework within which agencies operate, but many push it to the very brink of compliance. Your union can't help you if you are not a member and if you don't continually lobby your Executive to campaign on behalf of supply teachers.
    If supply teachers realised the limitations of the agency model of employment, many more would opt not to work through agencies at all.
    The NUT is in favour of removing agencies from the picture altogether and is in negotiations to establish a publicly run and publicly accountable central register, run through an automatic database as is already up and running in Northern Ireland.
    The unions need to work together to lobby MPs. That means you, as an individual constituent have the right to contact your MP at Westminster and point out the considerable loss of public money into private hands as a result of unfair employment practices which are already obsolete in some parts of the UK but not England. Your MP is obliged to reply.
    The NASUWT is in opposition to umbrella companies and in favour of greater enforcement of AWR but stops short at actually demanding agencies are pushed out. Their ratings website serves to endorse those agencies who are good or at least not as bad as the rest.
    This has its limitations as most agencies have autonomous branches, so one office of Agency Y in, say, Liverpool might be paying significantly less than its sister branch in Manchester and within each branch one agent might be paying its primary teachers a different rate from secondary and so on.
    With no enforceable pay scales, no job description and no public accountability, agencies are at liberty to pay what they like and charge what they like. The multimillion pound profits (even after expenses) of these companies means that no union can endorse their practice.
    It's a rip off. That was public money supposed to pay for the education of children in schools, not massive three figure bonuses for employment agency executives.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Moderators, I second the motion to pin this post.
    Half of the questions put to the forum could be cleared up by referring to it.

7. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

sheilajones54 and snowyhead like this.
  10. Tomito

Tomito New commenter

I agree, the Union protects us and we are even more vulnerable when we are in supplying! Go NUT! :)

11. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

I've read that document but I can see anything about agencies paying a lesser rate than agreed after the assignment has been completed, are there any guidelines on this?

12. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

If you tell your agency that you are supporting the NUT strike then this could cause you problems. Why risk it? If you want to support the NUT strike then just tell them that you have already been booked by another agency.

13. Soulstealer007

Soulstealer007 New commenter

Hi,

Thanks for the post, the NUT document was very informative.

I have been doing supply teaching (maths) for 10 years now and I think I started at around £120p/d. My daily rate now is only £135 and after looking at the appendix in the document I see that I have been selling myself short for many years. I left mainstream on M6 yet I having been selling myself on a M1/M2 scale ;(

Time to speak to my agencies for a pay rise!

14. lizpell1

lizpell1 New commenter

I have been doing part time supply work for 4 years.
    The NUT are working with supply agencies who pay pro rata. I am registered with newly set up Transpose which pays £140 per day compared to £125 at my other agency.
    Other benefits are PAYE and an easy to use website to keep up to date with assignments, short and long term. Worth a look!

KRS0NE likes this.
  15. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

It's all very well, but this has been happening and worsening for years, why haven't the unions done anything about it?

16. maddyp1990

maddyp1990 New commenter

Hi all,

I have started supply work in September and one agency I work for uses an umbrella company. They are charging me 13% on anything above £150 (on top of the weekly fee they also charge) for employer's national insurance contribution. Is this common, should they be doing it and are there ways to get around it?

If I am working for half a day what rate should I be charging? Is it just simply half the day rate or should it be more?

I work around the Nottingham and Leicester area and found work to be really slow, has anyone else found this as well?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

17. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

THIS IS A PINNED INFORMATION POST. PLEASE OPEN A NEW THREAD