1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Useful present for someone about to start a PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by RandomGiraffe, May 24, 2011.

1. Hey, I start my PGCE in September and it's my birthday soon so my family are wondering what they could buy me that would help towards my PGCE. I'm wondering about a small laptop/netbook but any other ideas would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hey, I start my PGCE in September and it's my birthday soon so my family are wondering what they could buy me that would help towards my PGCE. I'm wondering about a small laptop/netbook but any other ideas would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

3. I have a Kindle, and its an absolute godsend. I read a lot so its great not to have to lug books around. I got it before I planned to do a PGCE, but if I do end up on a course I will definitely be getting text books on it.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I've found my 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copier very useful this year (current PGCE student). A small (in dimensions, not necessarily storage space!) external harddrive would be handy too if you don't already have one. A bag suitable for carrying several folders... folders themselves (not a very exciting gift maybe, but you could get some pretty ones for presents which might be nice - my uni recommended lever arch ones) and other stationery. If all else fails, ask for money - that will always come in handy!

5. harderfaster

harderfaster New commenter

3 tips from me:

Netbooks are brilliant, would highly recommend one over, say, an iPad. You can type faster on a netbook, you can access every resource you can on a computer with a netbook, and netbooks are considerably cheaper (you can get a good one for well under £200).

You can get a nice little USB drive for £10ish with a memory of 4GB (all the word documents you could ever need) rather than getting a portable hard drive.

When you buy a printer, check out the price of ink cartridges (third party sites are generally cheaper, try 'the cartridge people') because you could get a wonderful printer for £40, but then find cartridges are £25 a pop, which isn't fun for anyone. So find a printer for which you can get cheap cartridges!

Good luck!

6. Main83

Main83 New commenter

Can anyone recomend a good brand of printer that isn't too expensive to refil?

Also what is the general feeling on laser vs inkjet?

I've got a laptop sorted but I'm not sure which way to go on the printer!

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Laser costs more to buy toner for but is far better cost per page ratio. I have a Samsung CLP 325W which is good.

Inkjet I'd get an all in one and go with HP/Epson/Canon (NOT LEXMARK!). If you can get a printer that takes 4 seperate inks you get more 'life' out of them as youson't have to replace the colour ink when you've just run low on one of them (2 cartridges will be black and colour as opposed to CMYK).x

8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It'll be fine I'm sure. You just need somewhere to store your files that you can transport between home and uni and school when you're on placement. What exactly that is and how big it will need to be depends on your own preferences.

9. 'Treated' myself to one this week, a grand total spend of £9 (reduced from £15) at Wilkinsons for a Texet A4 one, I figured it should be ok as it was a brand name I recognised.
    Now I just need to find something intersting to laminate......we tried laminating a poster that a kid at school had made once, it had some real flowers pressed onto it, and let's just say it didn't go well! The first half came out beautifully, the flowers looked vibrant and colourful and just like pressed flowers, however, unbeknownst to us the moisture was squidging out as it was rolling through and so the second half of the poster came out looking like a murder scene with red petal juice and mushed up stems smooshed all over the place....the laminator smelt of burning geraniums for weeks!
    I have once laminated a spider (not on purpose I may add) that wasn't a pleasant sight either!

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Maplin do a fabulous laminator (knocks the socks off my old one as it will do 250microns so no bubbling or 'missed bits', also quick heating up too - highly recommended by me! lol)
    I also like using Matt laminator pouches too but then I'm just fussy!