1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Useful movie clips involving computers

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictLad, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Does anyone know of any good movie clips which highlight the importance of computing in our world. I know there are lots of movies involving computers (Matrix, Hackers, Tron, 2001 etc) but these are all a bit unrealistic in a sense. I guess what I am really after is a clip from a movie where someone pretty much says something along the lines of

"Computers are great because ....." or
    "Computer programmers are great because ....." or
    "Computers are amazing because ....."

The best relation I can give to another subject (English) is when in Dead Poets Society Robin Williams character says

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

Just watching that scene makes me want to read poetry. Im after something maybe even just slightly as rousing for Computing (if it exists).

2. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Does anyone know of any good movie clips which highlight the importance of computing in our world. I know there are lots of movies involving computers (Matrix, Hackers, Tron, 2001 etc) but these are all a bit unrealistic in a sense. I guess what I am really after is a clip from a movie where someone pretty much says something along the lines of

"Computers are great because ....." or
    "Computer programmers are great because ....." or
    "Computers are amazing because ....."

The best relation I can give to another subject (English) is when in Dead Poets Society Robin Williams character says

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

Just watching that scene makes me want to read poetry. Im after something maybe even just slightly as rousing for Computing (if it exists).

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've not seen 'Enigma' but is there some point in that where the early technology is eulogised?

I'm pretty sure HAL gets an intro in '2001', and you might also like to look at 'Colossus - The Forbin Project', although both of those computers went mad.

In 'Star Trek' (original series) there's an episode where Kirk is replaced by a tactical computer, I think it's called 'The Ultimate Computer'. The inventor extols its virtues, and Kirk retorts with some comment about 'there are still things men have to do to remain men' etc. I love that episode.

Most commentators are suspicious of computers, and guarded in their praise, it must be said. Maybe you need to be looking at Bill Gates or Steve Jobs for inspirational Churchillian style quotations about the new revolution?