1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of working wall in Drama lessons

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Milligantrainee, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Milligantrainee

Milligantrainee New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm doing a GTP and looking at how AfL is used in Drama classrooms. Do any of you use working walls / or displays in your Drama lessons, and if yes, how do you link it to AfL?
    Any comments greatly appreciated.

2. Milligantrainee

Hi all,
    I'm doing a GTP and looking at how AfL is used in Drama classrooms. Do any of you use working walls / or displays in your Drama lessons, and if yes, how do you link it to AfL?
    Any comments greatly appreciated.

3. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

i've not heard of a working wall before (does it do admin and make tea?)

I have levels displaid in my studio and often refer to them during lessons asking the kids what levels they are hitting. I also have posters about types of staging and drama skills and mediums up and ask them to pick certain ones to use then we can go back to these during the plenary.

I think it's important to remember that AFL needs to take places throughout the lesson not just at the end. Stopping them and getting a quick show of hands half way through by asking something like "hands up is you've used 2 drama mediums so far today?" is a quick way of assessing what they are learning

4. Milligantrainee

Thanks for taking the time to reply - really useful.
    x

5. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

I have what I call 'The Wonder Wall'
    Each year group has the levels displayed and their photos next to the level they are currently achieving. It allows them to see their progress and where they want to be...they love it!
    I also have posters which show what each year group are currently working on and then a 'action' wall where they stick up notes, rhearsal stimulus, photos etc of anything they are doing so it changes frequently.
    Hope this helps

6. I like the idea of your action wall!
    I've had to have all my display boards damaged as the room is used by so many people and outside groups that everything that goes on them gets ruined almost immediately. I just have fairly static (boring??) displays of key words, levels, stimulus material, key info for each group, etc. I have 4 boards - one for KS3, one for KS4, one for Y12 and one for Y13.

7. Milligantrainee

Thanks everyone. These are really inspiring ideas!