1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of u tube in school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by safetyforchildren, May 5, 2011.

1. Opinions needed please. Does your internet policy allow u tube to be acessed by your pupils? Mostly pupils in our school will have a teacher/TA in the ICT suite with them but one's eyes cannot be everywhere all the time and our suite is accessible. Our Head has recently allowed this and had it delisted as a blocked site. I have concerns and am interested in both policy in other schools and reasons given for that policy, as well as opinions. Thanks

2. Opinions needed please. Does your internet policy allow u tube to be acessed by your pupils? Mostly pupils in our school will have a teacher/TA in the ICT suite with them but one's eyes cannot be everywhere all the time and our suite is accessible. Our Head has recently allowed this and had it delisted as a blocked site. I have concerns and am interested in both policy in other schools and reasons given for that policy, as well as opinions. Thanks

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Our LA will unblock following a signed request and our policy requires children only to use the internet as directed but we have not unblocked as yet, the advantages (rich vein of resources for teachers) being outweighed by the dangers (shedloads of inappropriate material). Teachers can always download and convert Youtube files at home for use in school if they are valuable enough.

4. Youtube can only be accessed by teachers in our school using teacher login so that teachers can use them after reviewing videos but children do not have access!

5. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

We have access to YouTube but usually only the teachers access it, not the children. There are some great clips on there to enhance lessons, but you do have to be very careful. I've noticed some of the suggested clips which appear along the side are not always appropriate, and an awful lot of the comments posted with clips include very explicit language as posters tend to always end up in arguments!

6. Thanks for your views so far. Keep them coming please.

7. How do you download and convert clips please?

8. Download realplayer to your computer and then you can save youtube clips onto it to show in class.

9. If you google 'save youtube videos' - you'll get quite a few places where you can save it to an .flv file.
    As for our policy - kids don't get access, but we've got a staff proxy server so we can have access for teaching.
    That's pretty recent, though, actually - i've been saving them at home up until now.

10. Can't access at school at all. Would have serious concerns about children accessing you tube at school.