1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of textbooks in science lessons

Discussion in 'Science' started by Rhysboy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Rhysboy

Rhysboy New commenter

I`d be interested to hear how other teachers use textbooks in their lessons, especially in Key Stage 3 and 4.
    Whenever I say we are going to use textbooks, I get a collective sigh from students who possibly see them as boring and uninspiring.
    Does anyone have any interesting ways to use them beyond the "open to page 35 and answer questions 1 to 5"?

2. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Very rarely, probably only when I set cover work or when my regular lessons collapse in on themselves ;)
    You can establish within 5 minutes how many of your students prefer to learn using texbooks. For my groups it's never more than 5%. If they want to use them they can but for the majority of the students it would be counter productive.
    I don't tend to use exercise books either. The students have books they can make notes in but nothing like the exercise books I used in school.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

It depends upon the group. I rarely use them with my KS3 classes preferring worksheets linked to what we are studying / practical work but will use them for cover work. Likewise with KS4 though I do use them as a control method with some of my more difficult groups. Oddly my KS5 pupils use them the most but as a complement to the powerpoints etc.I am using in class

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

With KS4 I use them on occassions to answer a question following teaching. This may take 5 minutes during the lesson.
    In KS5 it is much like ScienceGuy.....books are used to complement powerpoints etc.
    Interestingly I am teaching part of the AS syllabus at the moment that was covered under a different topic with a different exam board last time I taught it some 4 years ago. At that time powerpoints were not common and much of my work was on OHTs. I've had to raid the school stores to find an old OHP to show theses slides on! I will convert to ppt when I get time. I feel like an antique using an OHP!

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Textbooks can be useful when you want to introduce ideas or knowledge that can't be gained from experimental work. They mean that the class doesn't have to listen to me droning on. they can supply more information than a page on powerpoint. They give the students a chance to work at different speeds.
    Activities to recommunicate ideas can develop literacy.
    However, class sets of text books appropriate to what we teach are now not available in my school for anyone younger than year 11. We just haven't had the money to purchase books in any quantity for years!
    P

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have found them very good for BTEC. I can't get into a computer room often and with some of the classes they can't work in them anyway as they can't focus on the task. Plus the internet has just too much information. However dragging a load of old text books out of the stock room you can pile them up, give the kids a few page numbers and to get them started and then they can find information and then produce reports etc in their own words. It has given a whole new lease of life to some of our old texts (KS3 and KS4). Also for our triple science group I have sent home with each child one of our Cambridge GCSE books that we last used about 10 years ago. They contain probably 80% of the work they have to cover and so you can set then reading or DART tasks as HWs.