1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of TA's

Discussion in 'Primary' started by QknightyQ, Feb 8, 2016.

1. QknightyQ

QknightyQ New commenter

I'm a NQT at my school so I just wanted to check with other people on here whether my TA should or should not have been taken away from my year group.

So within my year group I have two children who are both statemented, so with the addition funds provided each child has an assigned TA. (this is a two form entry class of 60 children, each child not being in the same class). However recently they have moved on of our TA's to a different year group to prepare the class with their up coming SATs.

Is this OK?
    Is it alright for those pupils with assigned support to have it taken away?

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I would say not. The funds are provided so that the statemented children can have support.
    Does this mean neither class has any TA support now?

wanet likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Are the parents of the children with the Statements aware that the support has been withdrawn ? Imperative I think that you look at the school's policy re allocation of TAs - pretty sure that it will state quite categorically the rationale behind funding, support and outcomes.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What are the exact terms of the statements? Many only provide support for so many sessions or a percentage of the week in which case the school coukd argue they are fulfilling the requirements

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Yes you need to know what the "statements" actually contain. TA's are often moved around in my school to where they are needed depending on other children's' needs.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Terms of statements (or EHCPs) are interpreted much more broadly now than they were a few years ago. As Msz says, often children may have only a certain number of hours support each week - and these children are frequently supported as part of a group unless the statement specifies 1-1 support. Depending on the reason for the statements and the needs of each individual, we have used one TA to support two statemented children together.

7. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

The TAs go wherever our HT decides they are best deployed. It's as simple as that.

Results can mean the difference between a head staying or getting the sack. At this time of year, with the pressure and uncertainty of the new tests, I'd be surprised if they weren't popping up all over the place in Y6!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just be careful how you approach this topic with your head. They have to right to use staff as they see fit.and even if you are annoyed or feel it for the children that is still their prerogative.
    I often had support TA's taken away at short notice when teaching...even when children supported had real behavioral problems.
    I would point out that years ago it was very rare to have any help in a class and teachers did it all..including teaching and supporting children with SEN statements.However, a lot of the classroom situation was different.but i used to have one of the other children help.or let children get on with a task while supporting the needy one(s). You are in theory supposed to be able to teach the whole range of abilities and should be doing so in the class.....but its really really hard and in days of data collection pressures such distractions might effect your overall class achievements.

I