1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of Steps to Success in maths planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by claire810, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Is anyone using Steps to Success (national strategies)?
    We used Overcoming Barriers last year to target children with gaps in small guided groups but I've just been on a course and people are saying they use Steps to Success to plan all their maths teaching.
    I've just spent a couple of hours looking over all the Steps to Success materials and whilst they are obviously useful to inform planning, for AfL etc I can't see how I could use it for all my planning. Its too complicated and all over the place for me!
    Interested in anyone else's experience and how they use it.

2. Is anyone using Steps to Success (national strategies)?
    We used Overcoming Barriers last year to target children with gaps in small guided groups but I've just been on a course and people are saying they use Steps to Success to plan all their maths teaching.
    I've just spent a couple of hours looking over all the Steps to Success materials and whilst they are obviously useful to inform planning, for AfL etc I can't see how I could use it for all my planning. Its too complicated and all over the place for me!
    Interested in anyone else's experience and how they use it.

3. Not sure I've heard about this, is it the same steps to success that is process success criteria?

4. that is using a process success criteria!

5. Its a Cd rom from National Strategies that contains Overcoming Barriers, Securing Levels, Progression info and Assessment. There are links to ITP's and Springboard amongst other resources. To me in seems more intervention/assessment than planning but sure some people use it successfully.

6. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Can you download from Strategy Site?

7. I find steps to success really useful in planning. It makes you break down your planning and think about each individual child and what they can do enabling you to differentiate accurately. It also helps when assessing pupil's understanding and working out their next steps.

Bloomin' time consuming though!

8. It's online at http://www.wirral-mbc.gov.uk/VLE_Live_Resources/resources/index.html

9. [​IMG]

10. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Many thanks