1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of pencils in nursery??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Mar 2, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

What do you do to strengthen their fingers etc? I've got a bit of a down on whiteboard markers at the moment since they require no push to speak of and seem to seduce the chilren into a sense of effortless, easy come easy go-ness when it comes to mark-making.

2. As a Reception teacher, I have found that our Nursery don't do as many pre-writing activties as they should be. The focus they have is on getting the children to write their name. So much so, that by they time they get to us in Reception they have developed some really quite strange pencil grips. I would prefer my Nursery to forget the writing and concentrate on the prewriting. I have lots of prewriting activities set out in my classroom that the children can access whenever they like. I have found that it does make a big difference, though do wish it had been started in Nursery.
    Activities I have on my 'Fine Motor Shelf' are:
    Threading (3 different sized beads/threads)
    Tweezers (2 different sizes) with mini pom poms, pasta, beads, buttons
    Clothes Pegs - varying sizes
    Russian Dolls
    Stress Ball
    Hama Beads
    Links
    Wind-up Toys
    Nuts and Bolts
    Padlocks and Keys
    Small spinning tops
    Peg Boards
    Leap Frog Game (where you press the back of the frog to get him to jump)
    Zips
    Spooning (transferring lentils from one bowl to another)
    Fastening and unfastening buttons
    Playdough
    Tracing
    I know I have more than that in my classroom, but it's Friday night and I'm tired! Hope that helps though :)

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think inky was asking for ideas she's a very experienced teacher who can learn me a thing or two.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Tee hee!
    Thanks anyway, Eve x [and thanks, Msz]
    My query about the use of whiteboards is a serious one because they're used for phonics lessons in Reception classes throughout the land.