1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of NQT time

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I am in my second school during my NQY year and I am becoming rather disillusioned that the 'induction' really isn't much of an induction at all.
    My mentor in my first school was very supportive and good with observations and target settings but we had real difficulty getting any observations of other staff as things were either on in school or staff didn't want me to observe them or it was 'inconvenient'. The only CPD I did that was timetables as part of NQT time was some learning platform training (a school priority). There was a 3 day induction in the county at the start of the year but myself and the other NQT missed it because the school 'forgot' to register us and only just got the paperwork in before the deadline.
    On to my second school in. Just had first observation and it was OK (nothing to write home about as behaviour is a big issue for all staff at my current school - a tough place) but still no CPD. There doesn't seem to be anything on offer from the LA and requests to observe other people just seem to fall on deaf ears.
    I am working my butt off. I made a good job of my CEDP and identified what my prioritiy needs were (mainly gaps in my training or from my GTP schools because of the kind of school I was at) but my priorities don't seem to fit in with school priorities so they seem to be being constantly swept under the carpet. Now I get the school priorities thing and understand this is important, but I have one shot at at the NQT year and I am starting to become completely disillusioned with the whole process tbh. What was the point of the CEDP if it is going to be completely ignored? I feel as though I am just being left to 'get on with it' which I am more than capable of and I am finding my own way through things and learning lots (the hard way) but surely the whole process should be more supportive than learning the hard way. The staff where I work are very supportive of each other as it is a tough school and they reckon if I can work here I can work anywhere, but that isn't making me feel any better at the moment. I am constantly battling with behaviour (but then so are the experienced teachers).
    I had to pick myself up today after feeling really bad and wondering if I have made a mistake going to this new school. It wasn't like I had much choice as there are few jobs out there. I loved my old school but was only on a maternity cover. I know I am lucky to have a job when many don't but I want to be the best I can be and develop using CPD opportunities and make the most observing others while I have the chance. I found during my GTP that staff in school were also reluctant to let me observe them. I am going to try and nail down my mentor on Friday and get a plan put in place. I am worried about failing - there isn't any indication that is the case, but it strikes me that schools are not doing inductions properly. I remember sitting in a workshop with a representative from the GTC talking to us about induction and the statutory requirements and several of us asked what if schools just don't live up to their sides of it (as many of us knew several NQTs where this was the case or who didn't get NQT time) and they said schools 'had to' participate in NQT induction, so we asked the question again - seems no one is enforcing what the GTC 'think' is going on.
    Sorry, hoping I will feel better in a week or two and things will get better but I am thoroughly disillusioned with 'induction'. Are others having similar experiences?

2. I am in my second school during my NQY year and I am becoming rather disillusioned that the 'induction' really isn't much of an induction at all.
    My mentor in my first school was very supportive and good with observations and target settings but we had real difficulty getting any observations of other staff as things were either on in school or staff didn't want me to observe them or it was 'inconvenient'. The only CPD I did that was timetables as part of NQT time was some learning platform training (a school priority). There was a 3 day induction in the county at the start of the year but myself and the other NQT missed it because the school 'forgot' to register us and only just got the paperwork in before the deadline.
    On to my second school in. Just had first observation and it was OK (nothing to write home about as behaviour is a big issue for all staff at my current school - a tough place) but still no CPD. There doesn't seem to be anything on offer from the LA and requests to observe other people just seem to fall on deaf ears.
    I am working my butt off. I made a good job of my CEDP and identified what my prioritiy needs were (mainly gaps in my training or from my GTP schools because of the kind of school I was at) but my priorities don't seem to fit in with school priorities so they seem to be being constantly swept under the carpet. Now I get the school priorities thing and understand this is important, but I have one shot at at the NQT year and I am starting to become completely disillusioned with the whole process tbh. What was the point of the CEDP if it is going to be completely ignored? I feel as though I am just being left to 'get on with it' which I am more than capable of and I am finding my own way through things and learning lots (the hard way) but surely the whole process should be more supportive than learning the hard way. The staff where I work are very supportive of each other as it is a tough school and they reckon if I can work here I can work anywhere, but that isn't making me feel any better at the moment. I am constantly battling with behaviour (but then so are the experienced teachers).
    I had to pick myself up today after feeling really bad and wondering if I have made a mistake going to this new school. It wasn't like I had much choice as there are few jobs out there. I loved my old school but was only on a maternity cover. I know I am lucky to have a job when many don't but I want to be the best I can be and develop using CPD opportunities and make the most observing others while I have the chance. I found during my GTP that staff in school were also reluctant to let me observe them. I am going to try and nail down my mentor on Friday and get a plan put in place. I am worried about failing - there isn't any indication that is the case, but it strikes me that schools are not doing inductions properly. I remember sitting in a workshop with a representative from the GTC talking to us about induction and the statutory requirements and several of us asked what if schools just don't live up to their sides of it (as many of us knew several NQTs where this was the case or who didn't get NQT time) and they said schools 'had to' participate in NQT induction, so we asked the question again - seems no one is enforcing what the GTC 'think' is going on.
    Sorry, hoping I will feel better in a week or two and things will get better but I am thoroughly disillusioned with 'induction'. Are others having similar experiences?

3. Hi Bobby
    That sounds frustrating. I think it is very difficult to do much about these things isn't it? It is all very well knowing that they should be doing certain things, but if they are not you end up having to decide whether you are prepared to make a fuss and quite possibly making yourself unpopular, or that you want to play a long game and not rock the boat. I have come up against problems over not getting enough NQT time etc, but have decided not to rock the boat, as others warned this could cause me other problems.
    In my LEA there are special NQT courses, but these are mostly run by the people who ran our GTP courses so would be too similar. The ones I want to go on although apparently open to all teachers are apparently not open to me as an NQT, despite the fact they are all disappearing at the end of this year, so I won't be able to get on them next year when I am no longer an NQT! It is a farce when I just want to deal with my target and want to get on the course to address it.
    I have to admit I have only observed two people so far. My NQT time is one afternoon a week, which means I can't usually observe maths, literacy or science. I am having difficulty getting cover so I can observe science in the morning. I agree that in reality induction seems a whole different ball game. I have kind of given up on courses and am just plugging away at trying to arrange to observe people. I suspect I might come across the same issue as you as I start asking who is happy to let me observe. Have you asked people directly if you can observe them?

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I qualified pre-induction when everybody was left to get on with it so, really, unless there is an indication that you're going to fail, I wouldn't worry. You'll learn far more in a permanent position on a ful timetable so I'd just worry about passing. It would be lovely if your school offered all that you want but, truth be told, a lot of schools empoly NQTs because they can't afford experienced teachers, with no intention of doing more than the bare minimum for induction.
    Other schools employ NQTs to mould them, with the intention of giving them everything they can to make them into the best teachers they can be, to work in their school. While you're an NQT, this is obviously what you want and if you end up in a school where you are low down on the list of priorities, it's disappointing. But it's not a reflection on you. In your position (Feb with not much else around), you need to make the best of what you have and use it as a stepping stone to something better. You are in a great position to get a good job in September - cheaper than experienced teachers but with more experience than college leavers.
    Don't let it get you down - nearly half term!.