1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of Mindfulness, Meditation and Yoga

Discussion in 'Personal' started by becks014, Jun 22, 2019.

1. becks014

becks014 New commenter

Hi there,

I'm a fully qualified teacher but I'm currently completing a Masters in Psychology in Education at the University of York.

I'm working on my Master's dissertation looking at 'Teachers' Perceptions of Using Mindfulness, Meditation and Yoga to Improve Student Wellbeing'. It's a really important topic considering the prevalence of mental health problems in children and adolescents.

I'd be really grateful if any teachers or trainee teachers could spare 5-10 mins to fill in my online survey!

Here is the link:

https://york.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4T5BnjnYduSF6xn

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it!. [​IMG]:)

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I'm sorry, but ever since I read an article about how to go on a mindful walk, I've been unable to take mindfulness seriously. Ditto Christmas dinner.

magic surf bus likes this.
  3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

I have completed the survey but you may be surprised by my views that I am also willing to state here: I know from personal experience that Mindfulness and other contemplative practices can help people to successfully manage psychological stress and chronic health conditions.

However, meditation practices can also induce dissociative states and other unusual states of mind. Teachers may be unaware of this and those training them often lack sufficient experience to be doing what they are doing.

So I am very much opposed to the view that school pupils might benefit from provision being made for the introduction of such practices because those seeking to do so will almost certainly lack the expertise that intensive training for a decade or more, preferably inside a Buddhist monastery, can confer.

Without that experience, it could be downright dangerous for someone to do so.

monicabilongame, bonxie and nizebaby like this.
  4. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

One further recommendation that I would make is that you seek out the views of the psychiatrist Paul Verhaeghe.

He has convincingly argued that the reason for the recent upsurge in both pupils, teachers and the wider adult population presenting with mental health issues is because they are buckling under the pressure of a culture of constant measurabilty that is itself a product of working practices that go hand in hand with neoliberal economics.

This may seem an unlikely thesis, but it is one that I find plausible. The late Mark Fisher also takes a similar line in a little book called ‘Capitalist Realism’. Fisher used to teach at a Sixth Form college.

The bestselling Tibetan Buddhist monk and author, Matthieu Ricard, who is well known for his books on happiness, meditation and altruism, also concurs: late period capitalism and the inequalities it has produced is at least partly responsible for rising levels of anxiety, stress and depression in societies where these inequalities have become more profound.

If these authors are right, then Yoga and Mindfulness, valuable though they both are, will only help to address the symptoms and not the causes of the ‘illness’.

monicabilongame, bonxie and lrw22 like this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Your survey is badly written, with a poor range of options that do not differentiate between different answers that responders might want to give.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

your whole set up seems to be implying that it is a forgone conclusion that mindfulness, meditation and yoga have some sort of positive impact on mental wellbeing.

Thats not research, is it. You are doing a survey to see how many teachers you think have the wrong attitude.

I think your entire premise is wholly mistaken from the title onwards.

None of these things are going to impact on mental wellbeing. Some of these practices encompssed in the phrase "mindfullness, meditation and yoga" are positively damaging.

And yoga is part of the Hindu religion, and attempting to impose the worship of a specific religion on classes of students that do not belong to that religeon is going to result in all sorts of trouble.

I was a governor in a primary school that started yoga once. There were all sorts of issues, parents refusing to allow kids to come to school, protests involving local religious leaders, other disruptions, and one serious injury to a student who participated.

7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I recommend this book - only slightly tongue-in-cheek:
    [​IMG]

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I can think of an "M" word activity that is more stress relieving and health giving. Adolescent boys usually discover it about the age of 14.

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Earlier, in my experience of just having had to deliver SRE in my Year 6 class. :eek:

On a serious note, we joke about it when it comes to boys and men doing it, but I wish it carried less stigma for girls to talk about or engage in. It is, as you say, a normal, harmless and stress relieving activity that most people do (IMO - I mean, I haven't done a survey or anything, but I'm guessing...), and that shouldn't be hampered by feelings of guilt or shame.

lilachardy likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I thought girls talked about it , in personal terms, more than boys.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I can't do meditation, I find it unutterably boring. I prefer to have lots of stuff whizzing around inside my head all day until I eventually feel tired and go to bed for a good night's sleep.

As for this 'mindfulness' thing, from what I can see of the description I reckon I've been doing it all my life, ie paying attention to my surroundings with all my senses and not plugging myself into some mobile gadget to blank it all out. Are people seriously making money writing books that tell other people to do that? Blimey - I missed a trick there.