1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of laptop to overcome bad handwriting in maths lessons

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by wolvers, Mar 4, 2011.

1. I am struggling a bit with a kid in my class. . He is a year 5 with terrible handwriting, despite 4 years of improvement programs. He recently got a laptop/tablet and his literacy work has blossomed. My issue is his numeracy where currently we have to work with paper and pencil and we get nothing legible out of him to assess. If I act as a scribe I get a level 3b but cannot give him that attention all the time in a class of 32 pupils. Therefore I'd like to make more use of this laptop for numeracy as this could take out the handwriting issues.

Do you know of any stand alone maths packages that he could follow, that would allow him to work on national curriculum topics at a level 2a to start with and progress upwards? I need to be able to maintain a record of his achievement so the package has to have some assessment or recording steps available to the teacher. I'd settle for a range of packages for different topics if that was more feasible.

I have thought of putting a shortcut to the schools Education city on his laptop but that brings up internet access, one condition of him using his own laptop was that it not be internet enabled for safety and control reasons. Would there be any way to lock him in to only that site whilst in the classroom that you can think of

Appreciate any help or suggestions you can give.

Ian

2. I am struggling a bit with a kid in my class. . He is a year 5 with terrible handwriting, despite 4 years of improvement programs. He recently got a laptop/tablet and his literacy work has blossomed. My issue is his numeracy where currently we have to work with paper and pencil and we get nothing legible out of him to assess. If I act as a scribe I get a level 3b but cannot give him that attention all the time in a class of 32 pupils. Therefore I'd like to make more use of this laptop for numeracy as this could take out the handwriting issues.

Do you know of any stand alone maths packages that he could follow, that would allow him to work on national curriculum topics at a level 2a to start with and progress upwards? I need to be able to maintain a record of his achievement so the package has to have some assessment or recording steps available to the teacher. I'd settle for a range of packages for different topics if that was more feasible.

I have thought of putting a shortcut to the schools Education city on his laptop but that brings up internet access, one condition of him using his own laptop was that it not be internet enabled for safety and control reasons. Would there be any way to lock him in to only that site whilst in the classroom that you can think of

Appreciate any help or suggestions you can give.

Ian

3. You may gain some benefits from SmartBoard Math Tools which can be maniuplated to some extent with the handwriting recognition tool too.It works without the net and is about 50 quid for a single user pack (on top of smartboard if you dont have it)
    I dont know thats a long terms solution for you though and SEN is not my area of knowledge at all.

4. Thanks, am following this up now.