1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of ICT in science

Discussion in 'Science' started by Nimrat, May 14, 2011.

1. As a teacher educator in India and a researcher in the field of ICT in education, I am very interested in understanding the experiences of other countries with the use of ICT in teaching-learning, particularly in science education, especially the UK where, as I understand, learning about and through the use of ICT is a statutory requirement after a certain stage. What are the advantages, what are the issues related to use of ICT - these are questions I'd really like answered by teachers who are actually using technology.<font color="#0e774a"></font>

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I try not to use it if at all possible. Kids need to measure time with clocks and temperatures with thermometers. They need to plot graphs and make their own conclusions. A computer is useful to show a video or a photograph on the big screen (although my screnn hasn't worked properly for the last 2 years and is now developing a nice yellow tinge to replace the blue one!
    Luckily I never threw out my blackboard.

3. we use our ICT loads
    We have Moodle for online homework completion (some is marked automatically) - students can't lose the sheet or lie about doing it when they have not (it logs how long they take to complete it!)
    Smartboard is good for re-use of lessons - you don't have to re-write your notes on the board each lesson, you can just save it on your laptop
    Smartboard is good for videos, animations, interactive activities that can be moved about, animated etc
    We have microscopes, snake cam (for dissection) and cameras that can be used to let all students see images on the Smartboard
    For experiments; we have Data Harvest data loggers with lots of different sensors that can be used for a whole raft of experiments for BC and P
    I hope this helps

4. That's interesting - especially the retaining of your blackboard! I had a discussion with a teacher here in India who said that using e-content 'dumbed down' learning for students - an ICT coordinator in the UK said that just because everything is explained clearly, it does not necessarily mean that its being dumbed down. What about a situation in which students explore with concrete objects and then explore or validate predictions using computers? For example, play around with iron filings and then 'see' the magnetic lines of force on the screen?

5. Thanks so much for the information. It definitely helps. Are there any issues regarding the use of these that come to your mind? Say, in the context of support for the teacher, classroom management, quality of content, limitations imposed by technology, etc

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why 'see' them on a virtual screen when you can see them for real using an OHP, magnet and iron filings?

7. What about independent manipulation and prediction by students? With the OHP, won't the whiteboard take centrestage, and not the students' notebook?
    Let me clarify at this point that I did brilliantly in an examination which required examinees to write an essay expaining why technology can never replace the teacher. However, doesnt the use of things like a virtual optics lab, interactive circuit boards, etc assist the process of learning? Your objection is merely to the inadequacy of technology or the constraints imposed by it on the teacher in terms of content, etc? I am just very curious about the issues related to the use of technology.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It would help if:

a) the technology actually worked most of the time

b) The technology didn't change every 5 minutes so that the stuff you have just spent 1000s on is still capable of being used on your new system.

A thermometer is still a thermometer and will remain so.