1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of ICT in Early Years( Pre-Nursery, Nursery and KG) teaching and learning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ayeshaomar17, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hi All!
    I would like to ask if anyone has used ICT in Early Years to improve student learning.If so,then which tools/applications did they find really useful. I have personally used CD players, laptops, Smart Board with my learners and found them extremely helpful and wonderful. I would really appreciate it if someone would like to share their success stories with me and mention how they went about doing it.I would be more than happy to reciprocate.[​IMG]

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I don't understand how the ratings system works. How can this thread have 5 stars if this is the first reply?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The op rated it 5 stars and I've accidentally given it 1 star when I clicked to see who had rated it
    sorry op

4. My school is over staffed, we have no money for resources - we have no Early Years budget. If I don't buy it myself, we don't have it. I own most of the furniture in my class too. If I want to do my job properly, which I do, I unfortunately have to buy quite a lot myself - as do the 2 other Reception teachers. My children certainly aren't 'glued' to computer technology, at school anyway. I merely listed the various ICT equipment I have, in answer to the original post.

5. hayley24 thank you for sharing the number of resources that you have listed. They are a handful. I suppose that with so many already with you there must be a good learning environment in your classroom. I am planning to advise a few for purchase for the schools that i work with, therfore am interested in finding out which ones are really useful/successful in terms of learning outcome also.

6. julia pearl thank you for replying. I have also used starfall for the same purpose and found it really useful. We are using some portions of the Jolly phonics programme and use their phonic sound CD's for better sound recognition and pronunciation etc. You seem to be looking after more than one level so would have a good insight about the kind of useful ICT resources required for levels ranging from pre-nursery to level 1(.i.e b/w ages 3-7) for actual enhancement of learning.

7. Julia Pearl - I am interested to hear what you think. I thought I was doing the right thing taking my children into the ICT suite - they are improving mouse (and hand eye co-ordination) skills; they recognise capital letters from the keyboard; those children that find holding a pencil/writing difficult but know their letter sounds can have a go at writing using the keyboard; they are using ict for creative development; several children use computers at home and are really confident and competent. However an EY advisor has just told me that they should not be using the ict suite at all. Being new to EY I find more and more that I am going about things in the wrong way to move the children's learning on.
    What do other people think?

8. While I would not presume to say that you are doing anything wrong - most innovative ideas come through honest 'mistakes' I think that the children should have access to IT within the classroom. The suite is OK but how much choice is this giving the children? I find some children like to explore IT through beebots and such programmable robots, some like to use digital cameras - just introduced into our class for the children. I am trying to get voice recorders now so that the children can record a commentary and we can upload it onto the main computer in the classroom that is linked to the interactive white board. They really enjoy using this to access music or paint programs. As with everything, it is the enthusiasm that children catch from the adults around them that enthuses their learning and helps them to explore new and different avenues. [​IMG]