1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of I Pads in the classroom to enhance teaching and learning

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by plmccahi, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone have any experience of using I Pad technology to enhance teaching and learning in the classroom? I am very interested in using I Pads in our D+T department and am wondering if anyone uses them or has any ideas as to how they can be beneficial to students?

Thanks in advance.

2. DM

DM New commenter

I suppose you could convert a pair of iPads and a clamp into a rough-and-ready vice.

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

OP posted three different threads all on the subject of Apple products. All in one day, within 15 minutes.

On commission?

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Possibly he wants to brag that his department has funds for a class set of ipads (while my A level chemistry budget wouldn't even buy one).
    Perhaps he's fallen for al the stuff from Apple's very clever marketing department.
    I am not sure how using an ipad would really do that much for teaching and learning. Yes, there's a faster processor and lovely whizzy graphics. But what then? Perhaps there is an app that will do your coursework for you, but it's probably not allowed under controlled assessment regulations.
    Why can't he tell us what ipads will do that other IT (or the students) can't do.
    I note that Phlogistette still uses the old laptop rather than her ipad when it comes to the heavy duty stuff.
    P

5. There's a rumour in my school that the school is going to sell all teacher laptops and replace them with iPads.
    1 - said laptops are on their last legs - anyone who would pay good money for one has more money than sense
    2 - you can't do everything I need to do on an iPad. As far as I can work out, the people who are proposing this think that all we do is surf the internet and send emails.
    If I say any of this I will be seen as a Luddite, and as Head of ICT this is not a helpful epithet!
    I love iPads - but I don't think they're fit for purpose as a professional working aid for teachers. I'll be doing everything in my power to hold onto my decrepit laptop!