1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

use of force

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by cav391, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hi All I am currently doing my dissertation and I am looking at the use of reasonable force in schools. Needless to say I am keeping all my findings annoymous, just wondered what peoples thoughts on the use of reasonable force were and if they feel things have changed since there is now more support for those who have had to use it or need to use it? any thoughts would be gratefully recieved thanks

2. I before E except after C.
    "Annoymous" is a great word though - I might use that one myself.
    Whatever the rules say, whatever politicians say, any member of staff using force is taking a grave risk.

3. ooops been a long day usually check the old spelling but think the loss of an hour and a teething child has taken its toll ha ha ha

4. The minimum force necessary - for the shortest time necessary...

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Who are allowed to define the word "reasonable"? The police? The CPS? The courts? The short answer is that no one should use force because - reasonable or not - your troubles are only just beginning.

6. I have no opinion on this matter only a thirst for knowledge and opinions so thank you

7. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

8. If you are trained, then you know how much force is reasonable. I am not trained to restrain a child and therefore do not know how much force is reasonable. I would get in the way if I thought a student was going to be injured by another student. I have physically held a door handle before, against the strength of a child, as they tried to butt me out the way. My force was at the door, not at the child. I got bruised - no-one else got hurt. The only situation I could think of where I would instinctively use force without training, would be if a pregnant colleague was in physical danger - then it would only ever be holding back.