1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use of English

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dagnabit, Jun 13, 2011.

1. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Knock ON the door. To knock the door would be to tell it that it's a rubbish door. [​IMG]

2. Knock ON the door.

3. padavid10

padavid10 New commenter

I accept the pun on the word knock but if you said the, "The can's in the bag knock together." It doesn't meant they're sitting together saying things are rubbish. It's a bit of an Eats, Shoots and Leaves thought.

4. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

Or you could say 'Knock and wait...'

5. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

I would say it's a regional thing and if the teacher who suggested you change it is more local than you I would go with her suggestion.

6. It took me ages to work out what your quote meant. There shouldn't be an apostrophe in "cans". I would say "knock on the door" too.

7. padavid10

padavid10 New commenter

Sorry, you're right about the cans thing (been a long day).
    I'm not saying anyone else is wrong but I'm wondering why if you said (for example), "Push the button and wait" then that would be fine and wouldn't need an on or, "Paint the walls." I assume is ok but, knock requires the on.
    Just wondering if anyone can explain WHY this is and not simply that, that's the way it is.

8. I agree that it needs an 'on', but I'm not sure why.
    As a fellow welshpoerson I can understand your thinking though. Maybe it has something to do with Welsh syntax? In Welsh you would say: "Cnociwch y drws" which is perfectly correct. "Cnociwch AR y drws" would be unusual.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

To me the word knock without the 'on' added could mean other things. Push the button and paint the walls can't really be taken any other way.

If you said knock the door I would think of 'knock the door down', which I imagine you don't want children to do.

10. padavid10

padavid10 New commenter

Surely push the button could have other words added on the end, e.g. push the button... off the desk.
    I did wonder though if it was the potential of the double meaning of the word knock though.

11. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

"Knock the door" sounded wrong to me, but I couldn't explain why. I've faffed about on the internet, to find a decent explanation. The closest I got to a definitive answer was from the Oxford Advanced Dictionary. It still doesn't say why it's wrong, but it sounds a sufficiently authorative source for me to believe.
    It's first definition is:
    Somebody was knocking on the window.

12. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

So now which is right? Knock at the door or knock on the door? I suppose at as on has a more horizontal connotation. Perhaps that is why we need the on or at,it gives more illustration and instruction to the sentance as to how we should knock.