1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use by date on chicken 20th April

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fudgeface, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Would I eat it?
    No.
    Why?
    I'm a vegetarian.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Food is usually OK provided it has been stored correctly, however don't rely on the sniff test being totally reliable asthe presence of food poisoning bacteria or the toxins ie poisons, does not change the colour, smell, taste or appearance of a food.
    Food manufacturers give the use by date as the date by which they can guarantee there will be insufficient pathogens present to make you ill. If you eat food past the use-by date and get food poisoning, you have no right to claim from the shop/manufacturers, so they usually allow a leeway of 1-2 days, but do store perishable foods below 5C.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Yep eat it, its not like Cinderella's Pumpkin & changes at midnight [​IMG] x

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

What lapinrose said about not being able to see or smell when it's off - important advice.
    When it comes to sell by dates, they are much more flexible than use by dates. Use by dates are usually for foods that can be seriously harmful if they are off.
    I usually bear in mind how a food has been stored too - if it's been a warm car journey home, it might need to be eaten sooner than the use by, but if it's been picked from the back or bottom of the shop cooler, put into a coolbag with other cold foods and then straight into the fridge, then it might be ok for an extra day.
    Some foods do have other signs of freshness - raw whole fish have clear eyes and a healthy-smelling layer of mucous when fresh. Ammonia smell is always bad sign.