1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Use by date on chicken 20th April

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fudgeface, Apr 21, 2012.

1. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Got a chicken - use by date yesterday - would you still cook it? Am going to roast it

2. fudgeface

Got a chicken - use by date yesterday - would you still cook it? Am going to roast it

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

4. doomzebra

I am amused by the mineral water companies which advertise their product as having been filtered through volcanic rock for 250,000 years and then put a use-by date on the bottle.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Absolutely, you would know without a shadow of doubt if chicken is off. Anyway, it could be off well before the use by date; the only real use-by test is the Mark 1 nostril!

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I seem to remember reading that it is something to do with chemicals from the plastic bottle leaking into the water - not a nice thought.

7. I'm sure the chicken will be fine, just make sure it's cooked all the way through

8. Use-by date, schmuse-by date.

What everyone else said. Especially about sniffing the thing.

9. Yep, especially if it was wrapped. Smell it, don't wash it, as explained above.
    If in doubt, next time you cook a very fresh one, smell it, so that you've got a point of reference for the future![​IMG]

10. doomzebra

and do not use ground glass and battery acid as a stuffing mix

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

although you can put a Mercury thermometer in there during cooking to see how hot it gets.

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Agree - use your nose.
    Also - use a meat thermometer. You can then ensure that the internal temperature of the meat at the thickest part reaches 70C and no higher. This will ensure that it is cooked through and any bugs are killed, yet it hasn't been cooked to a dry, chalky, pap (which is what happens if you follow the cook by weight instructions on most chicken packaging).
    This is a good rule of thumb for cooking chicken you know to be spankingly fresh as well. Moist, tender chicken every time. Overcooked chicken is vile.

13. Yeah! They are so determined you won't get ill and sue them they instruct you to destroy the food you pay good money for!
    Meat thermometers are the way to go. You soon save back the cost in electricity, and they are essential for the BBQ too!

14. fudgeface

Thanks everyone

Yes I shall cook it for dinner roasted with lemon, thyme and garlic served with mash, roasted cherry toms, cauliflower cheese (for the kids) and peas.

Like the idea of ground glass and battery acid though - not seen that in Nigella!

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I once inadvertantly roasted giblets wrapped in polythene hidden deep in a chicken. I just served the chicken and didn't mention it.

16. fudgeface

Thank God you rarely get giblets in chickens these days. I love the parson's nose though!

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No, no, no, no. Please don't use this a guideline. If pathogens are present in sufficient quantities to make you ill, they cannot be detected as they do NOT change the smell, taste, colour or appearance of the chicken, or any other food.
    If you have kept the chicken below 5C then it should be OK and cooked so it is cooked through, ie no blood appears.
    Please do not rely on the smell as being a guarantee that the chicken is OK. I've spent years teaching food and Food hygiene and could give you a list of cases where the food has looked and smelt OK but made people ill. However if it smells bad it has food spoilage bacteria present, possible as well as the food poisoning or pathogenic bacteria.

18. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

but not in the stuffing.

What everyone else said basically .