1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

USB Power

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by jujames1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I am currently looking at introducing a usb powered lamp for my year 9's. We don't have great facilities for carrying out electronics, so am trying to keep it basic. Anyone got some exemplar photos of any work produced? I have seen examples on the kitronic website, where polypropylene is bent into a cylinder and fixed with a black plastic fitting top and bottom. I am trying to locate the fittings? Any halp would be most appreciated. Thanks, JJ

2. Hindleys do loads of different fittings for polypropylene. I have just ordered a sonic welder for polypropylene - if you are anywhere near southeast London you are welcome to have a go....

3. An eyelet punch works quite well as long as they are big enough and doesn't look as clumsy. Or push into designing a lock together fastening- basic tab into slot style works fine. Another tip for polypropylene is using a bag sealer to create a neat line bend. Need to wack it on high then use a jig ( corner of bench).

4. Yogi

Yogi New commenter

They are using the cup and ring set from Mindset (old TEP) we have used these for pen pots. Going to try the lamp thing myself. You can get the LED's from rapid for about 25p if you order in large quantity.
    Thinking of trying to use old platic bottles and brininging in a 6R's theme.
    Link for cup and ring set. http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=7_477&products_id=1272
    Regards
    Yogi

5. The black plastic fittings are like someone said from the old TEP, I used 1mm translucent polypropolene for the shade which gives a snug fit, students then design a card insert. I did cut them on ther laser so have 2D design files for the poly that I could email to you.
    I recessed an on/off switch in the base, the students seem to like doing the project, so let me know and I could send more photos to you if you want.
    Rob