1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

USA 2020: Democrat nominees

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Who should be the Democratic nominee?

1. Bernie Sanders

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Joe Biden

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Elizabeth Warren

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Cory Booker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tulsi Gabbard

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Kirsten Gillibrand

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Kamala Harris

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Beto O'Rourke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Andrew Yang

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  10. Other

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

If you vote for Biden be careful what you wish for:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/...xxr5fFqKaPUwlUEUQRhs6OSSu5js7S8EEeo75hyIqhQDI

When Joe Biden Voted to Let States Overturn Roe v. Wade

"It was a new era in Washington in 1981, and abortion rights activists were terrified.

With an anti-abortion president, Ronald Reagan, in power and Republicans controlling the Senate for the first time in decades, social conservatives pushed for a constitutional amendment to allow individual states to overturn Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court ruling that had made abortion legal nationwide several years earlier.

The amendment — which the National Abortion Rights Action League called “the most devastating attack yet on abortion rights” — cleared a key hurdle in the Senate Judiciary Committee in March 1982. Support came not only from Republicans but from a 39-year-old, second-term Democrat: Joseph R. Biden Jr.

“I’m probably a victim, or a product, however you want to phrase it, of my background,” Mr. Biden, a Roman Catholic, said at the time. The decision, he said, was “the single most difficult vote I’ve cast as a U.S. senator.”

The bill never made it to the full Senate, and when it came back up the following year, Mr. Biden voted against it. His back-and-forth over abortion would become a hallmark of his political career."

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

You're fine. I know what you meant. But even if Biden's the Dem nominee I still can't see him winning.
    But hey, in 2016 I thought the FBI would conduct an actual, honest investigation and Hillary would be forced out of the race, so what do I know?

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Trump supporters say plenty of things about Trump. But we say them to each other or directly to him, just not in a public way that gives aid and comfort to our opponents.

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Lucky. I'd love to be in the US right now. What state are you living in?

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

So no different to not saying them at all then while publicly criticizing others for more minor offences than Trump commits, hypocrisy.

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Is that a word jumble?

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Nope, "touching cloth";);););)

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

People in glass houses, should not throw stones:) The above will not have gone unnoticed by his opponents;)

artboyusa likes this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Biden's hope is to be seen as the 'return to normal' candidate. 'Normal' meaning 'pre-Trump'. Which means going back to open borders as policy, economic stagnation, endless war and identity politics to the max. I'm opposed to those things, for some reason, and won't be voting for him. Nor will many others, I think.
    BTW, one of the best things about 2020 will be watching the same media pundits who got 2016 so absolutely wrong, and who've been wrong about everything since, getting everything wrong once again.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is simply loyalty to a cause type of thing. Something lost in Westminster unless the cause is personal gratification.

11. Mangleworzle

You have learned the lessons of the cult leader well grasshopper, don't respond to awkward accusations, just make a joke about them and move on. I note this particular matter assumes that your opponents will have higher morals than those of the cult which can be used against them, while the leader receives support.

Then again "word jumble", isn't that the preferred communication method of the leader?

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not sure that's accurate... Obama was nicknamed the deporter-in-chief in some quarters...

13. Mangleworzle

Loyalty to a cause that is accused of an indiscretion while using that same indiscretion to beat the opponents is hypocrisy, pure and simple. Either sort your own house out first or shut up about it.

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It certainly will be interesting as a spectacle, similar but not the same as it was when the Brexit vote happened.
    The media pundits attitude to what is now classed as 'abnormal' IE., President Trump, reminds me of an old saying:
    "If wishes were horses beggars would ride"
    Anyway, President Trump is doing the job he was voted in to do which is indeed 'abnormal', in particular, it is an undiscovered territory as far as our 'Liberal' and/or Marxist leaning 'normal' politicians are concerned.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

MMM!
    The lessons we could ALL learn if only we practiced what we preach.:rolleyes:

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

It was a simple request for you to express yourself clearly.

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

That is so but its not the whole story. Dems (and the GOP) always talk tough on illegal immigration to please voters but always go soft on action because they want donor money and their donors want low wage helots and they expect voters not to notice. Example:https://nowcomment.com/documents/29701
    Operation Streamline, which began under Bush 2, was mothballed in 2014 and deportations dropped to zilch (run up to the election, you see. Need to keep those corporate donor bucks rolling in). Obama winked at 'sanctuary cities', his DOJ took Arizona to court for trying to enforce its immigration laws, he imposed DACA and DAPA by executive order and on and on...

lexus300 likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Been watching Joe Rogan talking to Tulsi Gabbard...

I'm with her. She impressed me... clarity, didn't dodge questions, straight talker, veteran...

She'll never win it.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Damn... as political promises go this is a big one...

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...cancer-campaign-stop-ottumwa-iowa/1429287001/

Cure cancer... wow

To be serious... he probably means a massive increase in funding for cancer research. But that doesn't sound as good.

20. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Biden's eldest son died of brain cancer, so I understand his engagement with, and sincerity about the issue, even if the "promise" is potty and undeliverable.

Mind you, a couple of interesting points further down the article:
    "Poll: Biden leads Trump by 13 percentage points nationally in head-to-head matchup"
    and
    "After his comments, Biden was heckled by a protestor. The audience booed the man, but Biden responded calmly.

"No, no, that’s OK. No, no, no," Biden said. "This is not a Trump rally. Let him go.""